Gloopy apple juice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QED

Reaction score
Seasoned amateur at the beer however I have never made cider from scratch before. Last week I crushed some apples (we've an abundance) and pressed them just to sample the juice. PH was really low (3.something from memory) and the juice was VERY gloopy!
Do you cider makers use this consistency of juice to make cider or do you dilute it with water and then add some sugar to replace any sugars lost with dilution?
Any hints or pointers to online information appreciated!

Big topic! In answer yes no maybe or all three. I think you might have harvested the apples early as this can be a cause of higher acidity or needed to let the apples rest a little more

Yeast and high acidity article explains temperature requirements (around 20C) of brewing at pH 3 and below. Also suggests maybe adding calcium (or potasium) carbonate pre fermentation to get the pH closer to 7.

If it's your first go just, add yeast and some yeast nutrient/pectolase and see what happens. What's the worst that could happen? Youtube is your friend and enemy here. Otherwise you can search the cider recipe thread here for "apple harvest"

Last edited:
Nice one @IanG i'll just go with the "see what happens" in a 5l demijohn. Cheers for the link and search suggestions. I decided to use the rest of the first batch to make apple and chilli jelly instead. It's actually made a really good batch of that. It's like the gloopiness has had a higher pectin as it's set really well.

Always a big fan of the 5L dj try it and see approach athumb..

Just keep a notebook (cos you're a scientist and if it doesn't work you are experimenting and if it does you can repeat yourself and are genius!)

Also be aware that patience might be needed as this won't be a 21 day kit. You could be lucky and drinking at xmas

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back