Glycerine - How to add body and mouth-feel to wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Use Glycerine in your wine to give it more body. Glycerine increases the wine`s mouth-feel giving it a fuller more pleasant texture. Glycerine also smooths over some of the harsh characteristics that are prevalent in most younger wines. It is a colourless, odourless, viscous syrup that has little noticeable flavour except for a slight sweetness.

Last edited:
Im new to home brewing I'm making my first 30 bottle pinot grigio kit. It's been fermenting for 2 days. At what point do you add it and how much would you, use on 23 litres

I have found that the addition of a handful of raisins or sultanas adds to the mouth feel and also improves the body of a wine. Raisins for red/rose wine as they are made from red grapes and sultanas for white as they are made from white grapes.

Mark

That is a litre and it only has a 9 month shelf life as you only add 1 teaspoon to a gallon it may be false economy, a lot of members use this - http://www.boots.com/en/Value-Health-Glycerin-B-P-200ml_852418/

Value Health Glycerin B.P - 200ml

£1.39

44252-ecaf0bdd00f95317b24b0bcf4c5bd799.jpg

I use classikool stuff for E Liquids. Absolutely brilliant quality, but given the small volumes used, probably overkill...

I used to use it all the time in 2015 when i posted this i stopped after we ran out and i didn't use it on a batch and we couldn't tell the difference.

We found the same with citric acid.

I used a tbsp per gallon in mine and it made a massive difference. It rounded out all the harshness and made it taste like it had been aged for way longer. You need to leave it a couple of days though to infuse with the brew, as you would when back-sweetening. Citric acid is different - as I learned from JCR, too little of it causes a really strong, powerful off flavour that takes some mellowing out (perhaps glycerine would help here?) Of course some ingredients have some citric acid in them naturally so you don't need to add so much :D

At the end of the day it depends what problem you're trying to fix and how much you use - every brew is different and there's a lot of variables.

I had no idea you could get it from Boots for way cheaper than the supermarket. I was paying £1 for 30ml! asad.

Last edited:
I think this is a really helpful video. This chap knows what he's on about IMHO acheers.

I agree, he says to use it if you want to improve your wine and talks about body and mouth feel, maybe as we were already using 100% grape juice we were already getting the mouth feel and body or maybe its that i am an old git and my taste buds have had better days. :laugh8:

he says to use it if you want to improve your wine and talks about body and mouth feel

Yep, also toning down harsh flavours.

Maybe your wine was perfect and didn't need improving! wink...

He puts it in his airlock as well (as per a different video I think). Could get expensive for me if I do that :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back