Glycoprotein rest

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatline9

Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone tried a glycoprotein rest (at 72 Celsius) during the mash in an attempt to increase head retention? I've tried a few things to try and increase head retention such as adding wheat, not using soap to wash my glasses etc. but haven't had great success. Anybody found that this helps?

Cheers :cheers:

I haven't heard of that.. do you do full BIAB?? and would you do it post mash I assume as raising and lowering it..

As I tend to full volume BIAB i raise the temp to mash out at 75 ish anyway it is a little bit rough.

I've just come across it in a brewing science book. There is the odd thing on some aussie forums, for e.g. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/83475-mash-rest-temperature-for-foam/ Apparently at 72 degrees glycoproteins are formed which can stabilise beer foam. I do use full BIAB, but don't use a mash out as I go straight to boil after removing the bag. I imagine a schedule would be 60 mins at 66 degrees, raise the temp to 72 and leave for 10-20 mins. But somebody else might have a better idea?

Latest posts

Back