Go ferm protect for beer yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheeseyfeet

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Does anyone use go ferm protect when rehydrating their dry beer yeast?

Go Ferm Protect 100g Foil Vacuum Pack

Ive used it the past couple of brews so can't really say yet if it's making a difference.

I'd had a few duff brews with acetaldehyde and potentially stressed yeast off tastes so thought I'd try this.

The dosage rate seems high, it's like rehydrating your yeast in watery marmite!

This is the first I've heard of it. It won't do any harm but I'm not sure it'll do any good either. Lasting acetaldehyde issues are unusual, it usually ages out pretty quickly. Do you have fermentation temperature control?

I do have a BrewPi controlled fridge, it was one of my earliest DIY projects , just thought about it and the hardware has been running constantly for 5 years without fault!

Acetaldehyde was present in a kolsch that I've brewed lots before but I bulk aged this one in primary for 6 weeks, so that may be the issue.

I've had a few issues that I think are down to me targeting too low a mash PH , I was always aiming for 5.2 but now let it sit anywhere under 5.6.

Was it definitely acetaldehyde, because kolsch yeast does sometimes have a little apple or pear flavour to it, although it should be subtle in fairness.

Your comment on bulk aging is interesting, I've noticed in one or two beers in the past that were in the primary longer than usual that there was a touch of apple flavour there. Acetaldehyde is one of the byproducts of yeast autolysis, but we often hear that's not much of an issue on the homebrew scale. From my own experiences I'm not so sure about that.

Latest posts

Back