Going for the Grainfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after a lot of deliberation, reading and watching videos, I think The Grainfather would suit me best.

The wifi and particularly the position of the controller has tipped my decision.

I anybody has some inside information that Robobrew is bringing out a similar device, mounted in a similar position anytime soon, please say now, or forever hold your peace.

How about a used brewzilla with all the trimmings to tempt you?

in all honesty WiFi wasn’t and isn’t something I’m after, I preferred to watch it do it’s stuff - can understand having it on the fermenter, just not the brewing kit, I used a stop watch and manual on the brewzilla, but to each their own

I actually agree with you in terms of the WiFi. I’m pretty sure I would refer to do things manually and just be there watching.

Not having done any brewing other than a few home brew kits, it’s really hard to understand what I need from a unit.
I spent another four hours watching reviews, brew days etc between the Gf and Brewzila last evening.

From my perspective, not having actually used a system, I like the BZ in almost all respects against the Gf.

However, it’s just the position of the controller, I’m not keen on the idea of having to get to floor level to read it, but then, I’m not sure how much of that is required during a brew.

On the BZ I like the false bottom, I think the Gf idea looks a bit Micky mouse and bits like the handles on the lid and main unit. I like the look of the pump being inside and the cam locks.

I like the counter flow chiller in the Gf, but I could always buy one separately if I wanted. I want a permanent set up, so little things like the shape of the handle on the BZ is nice, because I like the idea of a pulley system to raise the basket, mainly because my daughter will be using it, probably while I’m at work.

I don’t know, lots to take in and understand, especially when I’ve done no brewing!

I and a lot of brewers do not have the unit on the floor but on a table so the controls are at a better height also you can still raise the basket out reasonably easy unless you are serious vertically challenged. I would still go for the Brewzilla every time as the buttons are manual but it does have storability for set brewing actions. I personally just set in my controls from mash to sparge to boil press the button and away it goes. You are going to pay for just the ability to use wifi to set it etc, a lot of extra money for something that I enjoy controlling myself

I've never used a GF so my response here is a bit limited to the BZ - and limited to the fact i've not done many brews either.

But:

In terms of the panel, I didn't find it too bad - I had the BZ on a small platform anyway as I wouldn't want to brew on the floor. I had a patio chair next to it and didn't really get up other than to do grain related things. The panel was at arms reach.

1619422074053.png

I found this height was ok, needed to go a bit higher in fact to transfer into the fermenter - next time i'll put it on the worktop, which is a bit too high to get the malt pipe out and have head room - so i'll use the platform to stand on to observe etc.

So, handles - you'll find they say don't move it when it's full so the handles are really there to shift it about when it's empty - it isn't heavy so no real concern there.

The malt pipe and pulley thing - you "could" go for a pulley and if it was a large grain bill you might need it but then it's only likely to be like 10kg, but yes, if a pulley is an easier option then so much the better.

in terms of a permanent system... tricky... I mean nothing really stays "in" there. You put the chiller in it toward the end of the boil to sterilise it so that needs a home, the hop spider comes out etc etc. Counter flow is ideal but another good point for the BZ is it comes with a decent chiller, my last brew took about 20 mins to cool - that's quick enough really.

Reluctant Recluse Brewday! (my brew day using my kit)

so in essence - if you won't use the Wifi (I know I wouldn't) don't pay for it.

the BZ is a great bit of kit, so is the GF, you'll be happy with either, just one comes in at a fraction of the cost and gives the same results. You brews will not suffer getting a BZ.

I think you are a bit like me in that you research and research and try and find the best system equipment and techiniques before you even buy. However, an honest opinion is that you don't know, you can't know what you really want as you haven't brewed anything yet.
Even with an all in one (which are not really all in one at all) you will ideally want a sparge water heater, so how about this for an idea.
Buy a cheap (ish) BIAB boiler like the Klarstein Fullhorn and a bag. Get some brews under your belt with that, then continue your research and decide what system you wish to go with, you might even decide not to go with an all in one, who knows.
Then buy your new system with more confidence and use your BIAB as the sparge water heater,

One thing I haven’t really understood between the two is the tap. The BZ has one, the Gf does not.
I’m assuming the BZ can pump the wort into the fv, the same as the Gf, so what would it be for?

it's a ruddy handy drain. Especially when cleaning down. You can transfer with the pump or the tap. I tried both as I wanted to use the pump.....tap was easier. Just depends on the position of your setup - use gravity? then tap. No gravity? use pump.

Galena is right though, you could just get a Digiboil and a BIAB setup for a fraction of the cost to find your feet (or any other sparge heater) I only suggest the digiboil as it's essentially an AIO without a pump (they even do a BZ kit)

Yes you can use the pump but it is advised not to transfer the hot/boiling wort if that is what you are wanting to do using the pump as they are not rated for boiling temps
Also as pointed out by Hudson the tap is very handy I use it to leave the trub behind (with a bazooka on it) and its very useful when cleaning the unit down

Yes you can use the pump but it is advised not to transfer the hot/boiling wort if that is what you are wanting to do using the pump as they are not rated for boiling temps
I don't know about the BZ, but the GF instructs one to pump boiling wort through the cfc for 10 mins before end of boil in order to sterilise the cfc. So I would certainly hope the pump is rated for boiling temp. Mine is 4 years old now & still going.

I love having the bluetooth connect controller on the GF. Along with the GF app, you can simply run the entire mash, with any temp steps, the boil and with notifications for any additions and at what point, entirely from your phone. Brilliant. Would it be better over WiFi? Not something I'm concerned about.

Unless there has been a new development that I'm unaware of, the GF30 Connect controller has only bluetooth connectivity, not WiFi.

I have a Grainfather and I love it, however when I bought it the alternatives were (apparently) way below in terms of quality. As I understand it the gap in quality has shrunk rapidly. I have modded my Grainfather by adding a RipTide, Camlock Conversion and also bought a false bottom. If I was buying an AIO brewing system today I would likely go with the Brewzilla as it already has a false bottom and camlock.

That said I do enjoy the benefits of being able to monitor temps and timings while I'm away multi-tasking.

I have the grainfather 30l conical fermenter and the Robobrew 35L and I think this is the ideal combination. The wifi on the fermenter is ideal for me because I spend time away from home so I can manage temp control like diacetyl rest/lagering whilst away.
On the other hand for brewing, the BZ was £400 vs £650 for the GF. Given the brewing process is pretty hands on I don't think the wifi control adds much. I too have my BZ on a little table (Ikea £15 I think) so accessing the controls isn't an issue.
IMG_3510.JPG

At £250 price difference that's a couple of cornies and plenty of other bits and bobs that I think would be of more use than the wifi. I also like the camlocks and false bottom (I found it easy to clean with no scorching at all), but then I've known no different.

Also, the G30 works with Bluetooth not WiFi, so range comes in to play. I brewed this weekend and was able to monitor consistent temps at all times and take action if any issues occurred (i.e. stuck mashes causing temp spikes etc.) whilst I weighed my water salts for the sparge with my back to it. I ate lunch in the garden with my phone in front of me. Once I've finished I can be anywhere (within two floors) of the unit and can see when temps reached to add the PBW and stop start the pump when recirculating through the chiller/recirculation pipe and whirlpool arm whilst going about my day (same when it comes to empty it and rinse.

Whilst they're not necessary if you're constantly in attendance or willing to leave things running, the additional features do come in handy if they're of use to you. The main reason I'd go Brewzilla is the comparative features, but mainly the price. I don't want to sell the Grainfather short it's a cracking bit of kit.

David Heath does a YouTube video comparing the AIO systems, it's definitely worth a look.

If anyone wants a great deal on a grainfather check out the website or send me an email if you can get it cheaper somewhere else :)

Can only speak for GF. Made brewing much more enjoyable, much easier to hit and maintain mash temps, and a bit quicker process. App is excellent for designing recipes, bluetooth control is more handy than i thought it would be for freeing you up between steps. No brainer if you have the money. When i got the GF i also got a temp controlled fridge for fermenting. Between the two ive gone from brewing ashtray dishwater to beers you cant really tell apart from commercial stuff i like.

I bought a Grainfather in January and went through exactly the same deliberations as you. One day I was going for a Brewzilla, next day Grainfather. Finally opted for a Grainfather and 13 brews in I have no regrets...... but I doubt I would have regretted the purchase of a Brewzilla either!

The comments that everyone has posted are pretty much spot on. No one is trying to mislead anyone. There are small differences between the two systems and a fairly sizeable £ difference. Ultimately you just have to decide if the differences are worth the extra £ for you.

Why did I choose the Grainfather?
  • proven reputation/established/reliability/marginally better construction
  • liked the counterflow chiller
  • position of the controller
  • the Wi-Fi connection was a bonus but not massive in my decision making
For me, the main shortcomings on the Grainfather are the lack of a false bottom or cam locks. Both of these can be retrofitted, albeit at more cost. Can't find a way to add a lifting handle though!
For me, the main advantages of the Grainfather are the controller position and the Wi-Fi and these can't be retrofitted to the Brewzilla.

When I made the purchase decision I thought the Wi-Fi was a bit of a gimmick, but to be honest I find it increasingly useful. Do your recipes/brew steps in comfort on Brewfather/Grainfather App and then with a press of a button it transfers over to the Grainfather controller. It does allow you to be more mobile on brew day but still keep an eye on what's going on. One nice feature occurred when a brief power shortage caused the Grainfather to switch off/reset midway through a mash . The controller on the IPAD saw this and asked if I wanted to go back to where the power interruption occurred. Pressed 'yes' and all the steps were reinstalled and I was back to the point where the power supply was interrupted. Loved the Wi-Fi that day! No idea if the Brewzilla has a similar feature.

The position of the Connect controller is for me, a big plus. I have built a mobile three level trolley for my system. Grainfather at the bottom near the floor, counterflow chiller in the middle, boiler for sparge water at the top. This allows me to easily connect the chiller to the Grainfather pipework, or lift the grain basket and sparge into the basket using gravity. The position of the Grainfather controller allows me to do this, otherwise I'd have be on my knees to access it. If I wasn't using a counterflow chiller then probably raising the height of the main 'brew unit' wouldn't be as much an obstacle.

In summary, you will brew great beer on both the Brewzilla and Grainfather and I'm sure no one can tell a difference in the beer produced between the two systems. Only you can decide if the way you want to brew suits a particular type of kit and no denying the price factor is a big thing.

Latest posts

Back