Going Gas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should be no problem, just make sure no flames from your burner run up that side where the tap is.
Have you made any arrangements how to do the boil when the weather is bad...e.g gazeebo or rain cover ? or wait for better weather... :grin:

piddledribble said:
Have you made any arrangements how to do the boil when the weather is bad...e.g gazeebo or rain cover ? or wait for better weather... :grin:
Just needs to grow a pair and brew anyway . . . That's what I do :D

As they say oop ere...........

there's nowt clever in getting wet, any fool can get rained on.....

When you do go gas then I can recommend making a jacket for your boiler a bit on the lines of mine
only better .

I have just done brew number 12 ( all 23 litre jobs ) on the same 13 kg propane bottle
7 were 90 minute boils and the other 5 were 60 minute boils
though its very nearly empty now

BrotherMalice said:
What does the jacket do?
was thinking that my self , now if it was at the bottom then it could be a wind shield . P.s you want a minimum of 7.5kw gas burner , i would go bigger if you can .

It keeps the hot gases around the pot for longer and acts as a wind shield
I can turn the burner down to low and it will still keep a good rolling boil
before when it was naked had to keep the gas on full for the rolling boil

troutie said:
It keeps the hot gases around the pot for longer and acts as a wind shield
I can turn the burner down to low and it will still keep a good rolling boil
before when it was naked had to keep the gas on full for the rolling boil

Seems like a good idea, got some sheets of aluminium at home, will have to look into it :)

same as mine , very good . I boil around 32 litres and from around 60 c ish to boiling around 20/30 mins full on , then turn right down to almost off to keep a rolling boil. I would recommend the 8.5kw if boiling larger batches .

Post edited, realised I'd asked exactly the same question as others that's been answered already :lol:

If i was buying a new 1 i think i would get that 8.8kw , even though you burn more gas you will be hotter quicker thus turning it down faster and should use less gas over all than the 7.5kw :thumb:

Back