Going Large - Today's the Day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@An Ankoù - I have a reminder in my signature about your dark malt hefe, and a search brought me here. Have you published the recipe and if so can you point me to it please? Much obliged.
Here it is. To cut a long story short, we used to drink my interpretation of Erdinger in my refitted garage known as "The Dog's Bollllocks" hence, Dogsdinger. The name stuck.

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_124401.jpg
    IMG_20211023_124401.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 42
Sorry, I was in a hurry yesterday. I'll transcribe my scrawl later on, but for the moment, it's acid malt (acidulated malt) to lower the pH and to sharpen the drink imperceptibly.
Also I don't use Tinseth-based calculators for my hops. If you do, it'll be insufficient in this recipe. I use the formula: grams of hops = (length in litres x IBUs) divided by (2 X alpha acid content). It doesn't really matter which hops you use as long as they're European "noble" hops.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was in a hurry yesterday. I'll transcribe my scrawl later on, but for the moment, it's acid malt (acidulated malt) to lower the pH and to sharpen the drink imperceptibly.
Also I don't use Tinseth-based calculators for my hops. If you do, it'll be insufficient in this recipe. I use the formula: grams of hops = (length in litres x IBUs) divided by (2 X alpha acid content). It doesn't really matter which hops you use as long as they're European "noble" hops.
Many thanks. I think I got the gist (grist??) of the rest of it.

I 've tended to do a 10 min ferulic acid rest at around 45C for my last few Weizen beers, but I'm not convinced it's of great benefit, and possibly makes the beer more "clovey" than I would like. Maybe I'll try the acidulated malt and single step mash, though I'll need to change my water treatment, too.

Agreed about the type of hops: I generally aim for around 13 IBUs, and I suspect the various calculators will make little difference at this low hopping rate. Anything between 11 and 16 should be ok IMO. I've used Tettnang & Hallertauer Mittelfrüh in the past: Hersbrücker would be an interesting change. I saw a recipe this week that suggested using Herkules, which I'd like to try, but they seem difficult to get hold of in the UK right now.

Many thanks. I think I got the gist (grist??) of the rest of it.

I 've tended to do a 10 min ferulic acid rest at around 45C for my last few Weizen beers, but I'm not convinced it's of great benefit, and possibly makes the beer more "clovey" than I would like. Maybe I'll try the acidulated malt and single step mash, though I'll need to change my water treatment, too.

Agreed about the type of hops: I generally aim for around 13 IBUs, and I suspect the various calculators will make little difference at this low hopping rate. Anything between 11 and 16 should be ok IMO. I've used Tettnang & Hallertauer Mittelfrüh in the past: Hersbrücker would be an interesting change. I saw a recipe this week that suggested using Herkules, which I'd like to try, but they seem difficult to get hold of in the UK right now.
If you're making a Weizen you could do a lot worse then read this German magazine article (translated into English!).

My view is if anyone knows how to make a paper Weizen it's the Germans 👍🍻🇩🇪

I found it particularly useful in terms of trying to make it more/less clovey/balanced/banana-ey (mainly down to the proportion of wheat used and the mash rest schedule).

If you're making a Weizen you could do a lot worse then read this German magazine article (translated into English!).

My view is if anyone knows how to make a paper Weizen it's the Germans 👍🍻🇩🇪
Looks very interesting. I'll give it a good reading. Cheers.

I found it particularly useful in terms of trying to make it more/less clovey/balanced/banana-ey (mainly down to the proportion of wheat used and the mash rest schedule).
Thanks. I'm going to that off and give it a good read. I believe the fermentation temperature also has a significant effect on the phenolics/ester balance.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm going to that off and give it a good read. I believe the fermentation temperature also has a significant effect on the phenolics/ester balance.
Yep, I think the article mentions that too, along with closed/open fermentation, and also pitch rate - IIRC though I think the effect of pitch rate is the least understood so not really the parameter you want to be relying on to get the desired effect.

Latest posts

Back