Going to Swap to a Corny Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are ever over Stoke way there's one in Kidsgrove right around the corner from the home brew shop.

Last edited:
It may be a case of doing some traveling, so thanks for the heads up 👍

I've just started brewing again and though I would take the corny route. So got the kegs and the kegerator but didn't realise how difficult it would be to source a co2 supplier for the home brewer. In the East Midlands if anyone knows of a supplier.
I used these guys. They supply through all sorts of suppliers:

https://www.adamsgas.co.uk/product-category/co2-gas-bottles-for-hydroponics-and-plant-growth/
Found a little auto supplier local to me. They got it ordered and in stock the same day.

Another question as you need to get as little trub as possible when filling your keg what is the best method?, I was guessing out of the FV into a bottling bucket let it settle then filter it into your keg?

Another question as you need to get as little trub as possible when filling your keg what is the best method?, I was guessing out of the FV into a bottling bucket let it settle then filter it into your keg?

I cold crash for a week then siphon from above the trub. You may get a few bits in the keg, but if you leave it in your keezer / kegerator for a while, it'll sink and get spat out in the first half pint. Chuck that (or drink it, I do) and then it pours clear until you kick the keg.

I might be late to the party, but I have bought all my kegs from The Homebrew Company, refurbished, £153 for 3 including delivery is terrific value. And yes, they breed. I had 1 in January 2019 and now I have 7.

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.u...-corny-keg-19lt-ball-lock-grade-a-p-3669.html

I cold crash for a week then siphon from above the trub. You may get a few bits in the keg, but if you leave it in your keezer / kegerator for a while, it'll sink and get spat out in the first half pint. Chuck that (or drink it, I do) and then it pours clear until you kick the keg.

I might be late to the party, but I have bought all my kegs from The Homebrew Company, refurbished, £153 for 3 including delivery is terrific value. And yes, they breed. I had 1 in January 2019 and now I have 7.

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.u...-corny-keg-19lt-ball-lock-grade-a-p-3669.html

Thanks HarryFlatters for your input the best per Corny I have found thanks to the help from this forum was Fully Refurbed for £55 each but plus P & P, so your deal sounds the best. I was going to buy the complete 2 keg system for the Kegerator build shocked at how much the flowcontrol taps are, but in case I really get the bug bad going to do away with the Y splitter and go with a 4 way gas manifold for future additions, the fridge I have found is the tall larder fridge its a Indesit SIA12 I think, not sure how many kegs she will take but good value at £80 2 nd hand online

For others struggling to find a supplier for CO2, check out Energas. Thanks for all other suggestions guys athumb..

For a 7Kg bottle of CO2, £10.47 + £6 Qtr Rental. Prices may change between branches but I doubt if it would be much. Not sure what delivery prices would be like as i'll collect.

For a 7Kg bottle of CO2, £10.47 + £6 Qtr Rental. Prices may change between branches but I doubt if it would be much. Not sure what delivery prices would be like as i'll collect.
That's pretty good actually! I had to pay a £70 odd deposit on the tank which I have a receipt for so I just take the old one back and get a new one for just the cost of the gas.

I've had mine since October and I'm still pretty full, i.e. it says more than 100% 💪

Delivery is a standard £57.00 but collection is free (or at least that is what i've arranged)

I got my pub landlord to get me a bottle from his supplier- cost me nowt except for the refil charge-12 quid, from memory...

@Geoffinthewilds Where in Aberdeenshire are you? I live in Banchory and get my CO2 from Campfield petrol station, just outside Torphins. They are a hobbyweld supplier, 6.5kg food grade cylinder is £35, £65 deposit and no rental charge. Think there is a £12 admin fee if you return it for a refund on the deposit but if you just want a fill you just return the empty, £35 and take another full one.

I havent checked if they are still selling during Corona but I imagine they are still open as petrol stations are essential businesses, I would call ahead if you decide to get one from them.

I'm lazy so usually throw it away but I do bottle sometimes.

Throw perfectly good beer away 😱

I just fill 7 x 500ml bottles from the FV before siphoning the rest into the keg. Add a little priming sugar to each, crown cap them, and then stick them away. Plan is to have a back catalogue of brews from the year to sample at Christmas (or if I run out). Really doesn't add much time to the whole packaging process.

@Geoffinthewilds Where in Aberdeenshire are you? I live in Banchory and get my CO2 from Campfield petrol station, just outside Torphins. They are a hobbyweld supplier, 6.5kg food grade cylinder is £35, £65 deposit and no rental charge. Think there is a £12 admin fee if you return it for a refund on the deposit but if you just want a fill you just return the empty, £35 and take another full one.

I havent checked if they are still selling during Corona but I imagine they are still open as petrol stations are essential businesses, I would call ahead if you decide to get one from them.
Hi xozzx,
I'm near Ellon, think as we live on a farm we can get BOC to deliver and they are around 19 quid but you have the bottle hire of around a tenner a month so your guy may be the best option had the fridge dropped off today for the kegerator build and the Corny kits getting dispatched tomorrow so just the CO2 is the sticking point will see if Campfield are open.
Thanks for your help
Cheers
Geoff

Throw perfectly good beer away 😱

I just fill 7 x 500ml bottles from the FV before siphoning the rest into the keg. Add a little priming sugar to each, crown cap them, and then stick them away. Plan is to have a back catalogue of brews from the year to sample at Christmas (or if I run out). Really doesn't add much time to the whole packaging process.
i have bottled the brew i did 3 weeks ago. i got 2 x 19l kegs and 19 bottles out of it. in these tough times of social restriction and high consumption of beer it seemed silly to waste it.

i have another 50 litre IPA batch in the FC and got another 50l Lime Hefeweizen brew day planned in 3 weeks. all possible beer will be bottled i can promise you that!

Getting my 10kg cylinder changed this week £15 exchange old cylinder for new. I managed get an old cylinder from a pub that was being demolished a few years ago so just swap it out when it’s empty.

Latest posts

Back