Golden Ale using Saaz and Goldings for flavour hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Beer Baron

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've been HB for three years or so and have used this forum a lot for research but never needed to actually write or post of feel i had anything to contribute.

I've been finding my way and coming up with processes / recipes that work for me. Started off with IPA's, a couple of Red Ales, and then a few (dodgy) Pilsners. Some were decent but i had too many poor batches and about two years ago started to take things back to basics - simplify hop schedules, obsessive cleanliness, work on limiting oxygen during transfer, making the right additions for PH/mineral profile and gone back to basics style wise focusing on low ABV session bitter and pale / golden ales, which is what i have been doing for the last six months or so.

The last two brews have been golden ales 3.5-4%. I'll put recipes up later, but they've been nicely quaffable. Have used either Target or Northern Brewer for bittering and East Kent Goldings and First Gold for flavor.

I really like this style, so want to make another couple of batches before moving onto something else, but with different hops. I picked up some Saaz and some Goldings which i'll be using for flavour. The one good Pilsner i made was full of Saaz, and the Goldings profile sounded good.

My thoughts are to use up 40g or so of old Northern Brewer for bittering, and then Saaz towards then end of the boil (20m-10m), with Goldings right at the end and also for dry hop. I've heard Saaz is pointless for dry hopping why i was thinking of this way around. I've got 100g of each, so while i was thinking of mixing it up with i could easily just go with one or the other.

I'm restricted by kitchen space so my process is steep crystal malt in a dutch pot, transfer to 10L stock pot, top up with water add LME and then do the hour boil and hop/moss/whatever else additions. Add to FV and top up with treated tap water and the remaining fermentables. I usually use Wilkos Ale Yeast (think its Notts) and pitch the morning after the brew (i brew late at night) usually 18c or less. Want this about 3.8% i reckon.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

I made a Saison which had a nice hop profile so the brewed as a golden ale. It's 15g EKG at 15 mins then 10g EKG and 20g Saaz at flameout, that's for a 15L batch but easy to scale since it's 1g/L at 15m and 2g/L at 0m.

I've also brewed it with 50g of each hop spread over the last 5-15 mins and it wasn't the best brew as I think the yeast were a bit stressed which created some off flavours.

But in general a Goldings / Saaz split for late hopping is very nice.

nice one appreciate the response Zephyr - yes could definitley scale up that up!! I'm going to whack this one on tomorrow eve I think I'll report back how I get one

Back