Golden ale..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Can anyone suggest an English golden ale recipe please?
I've plenty of Maris otter,crystal,carapils, wheat etc. Hops wise it's EKG, progress,target,BX, Willamette,celeia..
Yeast..
Dry..London,Notty.
Thanks!

Is the “London” the London ESB yeast? I did a golden ale with that to great results a couple of years back but it’s a low attenuator so needs some sugar in the “grain” bill.

I’d go fairly simple - MO and either some sugar or golden syrup/invert; target for bittering and some EKG and celeia late on.

Hi Clint i brewed one this morning you could modify it to suit your grains and hops
Wobbly Bob V4
English IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 18.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.525
Total Hops (g): 72.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 8.8 (EBC): 17.3
Bitterness (IBU): 42.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 65
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.500 kg Pale Ale Malt (55.25%)
2.000 kg Vienna (44.2%)
0.025 kg Black Malt (0.55%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Target Pellet (9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
20.0 g Citra Pellet (12% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
40.0 g Citra Pellet (12% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (2.2 g/L)

Misc Bill

Any thoughts on dry hopping this sort of style? I'm planning my next brew as a Golden Ale with Endeavour and First Gold (suggested by @An Ankoù) in another thread on English Hops. Probably going to use Liberty Bell yeast.

Was considering a dry hop to really push the aromatics but not sure if it's overkill?

I did this one a little while ago, it was very smooth.

Simply Golden Ale

Batch size 23L
S.G 1.042
F.G 1.009
EBC 7.6
IBU 36

Grain Bill
4.1KG Maris Otter
0.2KG Torrefied Wheat

Hop Schedule
10g EKG @ First Wort
10g Challenger @ First Wort
20g Challenger @ 60 Mins
15g EKG @ 15 Mins
10g Fuggles @ 15 Mins

Yeast
S-04

Other Additions
0.5 Protofloc Tablet @ 10 Mins
05 tsp gelatine - Cold Crash

I've never added added hops at "First Wort" before.

What are the pros and cons of doing this?

Hi Clint, perfect opportunity to do a SMaSH ale. A Burton Pale Ale (Truman's 1870's brews) comes to mind. 25 Litres at 1.050 using the M.O. and (I'd use EKG) hop choice is yours though. 5.5Kg M.O. mash thickness 3L/Kg at 66 DegC. make sure full conversion after an hour, but mash longer if needed. Mash volume is 16Lt, Sparge with around 22Lt to down to 1.010 and depending on your efficiency you should get a boil volume of about 32Lt and 50g EKG at 60 mins, then 50g EKG at 15 minutes. I get 27Lt at 1.053 from this brew. Use the Notty, I find it clears better, quicker in this beer. Perfect for the summer barbie - good luck with it.

I've never added added hops at "First Wort" before.

What are the pros and cons of doing this?

smoother bitterness, but usually instead of 60 min addition. No drawbacks as far as I can tell. Stick them in as you heating up to boil at about 80c.

Any thoughts on dry hopping this sort of style? I'm planning my next brew as a Golden Ale with Endeavour and First Gold (suggested by @An Ankoù) in another thread on English Hops. Probably going to use Liberty Bell yeast.

Was considering a dry hop to really push the aromatics but not sure if it's overkill?
I have tried dry hopping a golden ale with FG and I didn't like it. The recipe from RedWulf sounds good.
Notty might be a good choice for attenuation. Or if you want more ester character from the other lower attenuators I'd mash long and low

smoother bitterness, but usually instead of 60 min addition. No drawbacks as far as I can tell. Stick them in as you heating up to boil at about 80c.

It was incredibly smooth, I added them once the Sparge had finished, it was about 85-88c

I had done a bit of aggressive googling and the prevailing wisdom was to use up to 30% of the Total Hop Addition in first wort accounting for total IBUs. The other snippet I found was to use a mixture of bittering and flavouring hops. In this case EKG and Challenger, since I only had a bit of Fuggles lying around.

I was drinking this alongside my Yorkshire bitter which had the following hop additions

15g Progress @ 60 mins
15g Challenger @ 60 mins
15g EKG @20 mins
15g Progress @20 mins

And the the golden ale was by far the smoother of the two but I think by the software's reckoning there was only 2 IBU's in it. I also gave some to the crusty old Yorkshireman I call dad and he was very complementary of the Golden ale in particular.

I will certainly do it again next time I do a British style.

If anyone has a golden ale on the go at the moment, I'd be really interested in a swap.
My attempt, with citra and first gold, will be ready to send out in a week or so.
acheers.

If anyone has a golden ale on the go at the moment, I'd be really interested in a swap.
My attempt, with citra and first gold, will be ready to send out in a week or so.
acheers.
Hi Dan, It's too expensive to swap beers to France, but I'd happily swap recipes. I've got a few Golden Ale's on the go at the moment, some of which are SMaSH recipes EKGs to get to know the characteristics of different malts. One's made with Crisp's Plumage Archer and another with Crafty Maltsters' Pops, which I understand is made from a barley called Laureate which I haven't come across before. I'm also building an Adnam's yeast starter so I can try my hand at Ghost Ship.

I was reading up on this style last night. I might give this a try. Not to familiar with the style. It seems a cross over style, American hops now starting to be more acceptable.
A lot of the American recipes seem to mix Maris with 2row with some wheat.
I was thinking Maris otter, pilsner and wheat. This should give it a light body, yeast I was looking at CML Midland.
Not sure on the hops, I have seen all English hops, English & new world , English & noble hops.
Any advice welcome 👍

Latest posts

Back