Golden Cascade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borischarlton

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,
I made this from the recipe database yesterday, this is my first all grain and the first time using all my equipment, I had great fun and considering it went well.
However, my liquor has come up very short as I really underestimated the losses. My FV does not have a measure on it so I don't know exactly how much but I would think 16/17 litres and I wanted 23!!!!! The OG before boiling was 1048. I have only just thought that I should have taken another reading after boiling and I am now at work. Should I top up or just leave it?? It sure does smell good!!!!!!

Thanks

Rob

Assuming you've got 17l, to get the OG down to 1044 will take 1.5l, still leaving you well short of the 23l you want.

I'd just leave it and enjoy drinking it.

Note that he said he had taken his gravity reading pre-boil, therefore I would imagine it will take a lot more than a 1.5l addition though exactly how much isn't known until a post-boil gravity reading has been taken (which is also pointless if it's now fermenting). I'd add a couple of litres and leave it at that personally.

Yes, that was pre boil. I pitched the yeast this morning and now I am home it is going mental. I don't mind a strong ale but I don't want to end up with treacle!!! What do you think?????
Thanks
Rob

How much liqour did you have in the boiler at the hydro reading, and how much (approx) was left in the boiler (loss to drainage and hops)?

I guess about 24 litres, I really underestimated the losses due to the hops. Thinking about it now I don't know why I didn't just take the gravity reading and top it up as required. Still at least I will know for next time, like I said it is my first all grain and new kit
Rob

Hello boris,
Please could you tell me what kit you are using for your AG brews.....particularly for your HLT and your mash tun?
Are you happy with the kit and would you do anything differently.....ease of use etc?

I am being increasingly drawn towards AG and would appreciate your experience as a new AG brewer. Thanks.

Mark,

I managed to get both a 20L and a 26L from ebay. The smaller one was much newer and in far better condition, to be honest the bigger one looked past it. I tested them both and found that they needed completely re-wiring as the plugs got to melting temperature and the taps and handles leaked. Anyhow I got all that sorted and they now work a treat. I used the smaller one as a HLT, as its 3kw its gets to 80dgs in no time so it doesn't matter to much that it is on the small side. I converted an Asda cool box for my mash tun and although it it works really well I have found it to small for a 23L brew if you are batch sparging, next time I will fly sparge. It works out at 21L and as I found out it wasn't enough, however it only took and hour or so to convert and cost just over a tenner. Thermos do a 32L one from here:

http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/product ... d-cool-box

This would be a better buy.

The 26L boiler is also just about big enough and this isn't good enough for me, I want things to be as easy and enjoyable as possible so I am going to keep it as a HLT. I have found this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/MARMITE-THERMOS-CAPA ... 286.c0.m14

And am going to have this as a mash tun, it already has a tap on it, and they sell a 100L stock pot for a boiler. Luckily I already have a gas burner capable of boiling 100L so all I will need is to fit a tap.

To sum up, I have been able to make a brew with equipment that cost less than £50 and some time. Now I know that I really enjoy it I will invest a bit more and make it a whole lot easier.

Rob

Rob,
Thank you for your response to my question, that was a very useful post for me.
I have personally been thinking about a converted cool box mash tun and having a suitable vessel that will double up as a HLT and boiler. I don't have a lot of room at the moment and the only way I'm going to get away with some AG brewing is with some kit that I can dismatle and store in the shed in between use.

That shiny mash tun looks a bonza :mrgreen:

Thanks again Rob :cheers:

If you had 24 litres pre-boil (a) and lost a certain amount to hops and drainage - eg 2 litres (b), then you should be able to do a quick calc to help you know how much to let back to (c) to achieve your original SG measurement.

a - b = c
24 - 2 = 22

If you had added treated water to give you a total of 22 litres (assuming your loss to hops and drainage was 2 litres), you would have had 22 litres at OG of 1048. 23 litres would give about 1046.

I've never done AG, but the maths works for me - unless I've porked it (which I'm happy to be told about :) )

Thing is after the event I realise that I did not do the measurments that I now need to put things right, I can only guess. For me this is all about finding out what does what when and how and then how that effects flavour, strength and so on. I will let it finish, bottle it and find out what it tastes like. I will do it differently next time. And I am off to Warminster to pick up 25kg of fresh malt to experiment with!!!

Rob

Latest posts

Back