Golden syrup.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been brewing AG for 4 odd years now and due to space restrictions I've never been able to upgrade to kegging and have had to stick to bottles.

I hate bottling. In particular adding sugar. It's a pain the the Arris, as I don't use a bottling bucket and prime in the bottle (normally 330ml).

I have some golden syrup hanging around and was thinking this would be an easier way to prime, has anyone tried it? I have a sensible stout in the bucket at the moment and so figured this would be one to test it on, thoughts are very much welcome.

I've been brewing AG for 4 odd years now and due to space restrictions I've never been able to upgrade to kegging and have had to stick to bottles.

I hate bottling. In particular adding sugar. It's a pain the the Arris, as I don't use a bottling bucket and prime in the bottle (normally 330ml).

I have some golden syrup hanging around and was thinking this would be an easier way to prime, has anyone tried it? I have a sensible stout in the bucket at the moment and so figured this would be one to test it on, thoughts are very much welcome.
i had thought about using it recently too. shows as 80.5% sugar i believe. think it's already been inverted. if i were doing a stout i'd be tempted to go for it.

How will you add it? If you don't use a "bottling bucket", dosing each bottle with golden syrup instead of free-running sugar will be a "pain in the arris" x10!
there's the squeezable stuff that comes in a bottle and has a diaphragm to stop drips. would need an accurate dollop for each bottle though.

Near on impossible to put golden syrup into bottles and get a accurate dose each time IMO

Maybe a big bore graduated syringe? i guess it's just a couple of ml per bottle so probably hard to dose it right even with that.
I'd just get a bucket. It's a pain in the bum fiddlng about putting stuff in bottles individually, unless you use carb drops.

1604417411033.png

No wonder bottling is a pain in the arris. You are using 330ml bottles. Why not use 500 ml bottles, with a few 1 litre bottles, and cut down on the aggravation by a third.
Dosing each bottle with GS is going to messy even using a syringe.
Have you thought of sugar sticks which come in measured 2.5g doses, ideal for a 500ml bottle, maybe a bit on the lively side for 330ml, unless you are brewing lagers or wheat beers.

I use a lot of Golden Syrup in the place of brewers invert and its a huge pain in the **** to pour. I can't see how it would do anything other thn make an annoying job excruciatingly painful! Hpwever, from a technical point of view, there is no reason why it wouldn't work as it is just partially inverted sugar. Just remember that is is partially water as has been said.

Have never understood how, after washing, draining and sterilising 40 bottles, adding granulated sugar at half a teaspoon per bottle is a nuisance. Using a funnel and a small bowl / ramekin, it takes no more than a couple of minutes to prime vs a good half an hour or so for the rest.

This. I used to prime each bottle individually, and when I finally tried batch priming in a second bucket it dawned on me that I was an idiot for not trying it sooner.
Depends on your batch size, I’m normally only bottling at most 20 500ml bottles which take me about 5-10 minutes at most to prime with caster sugar (using a spoon and a funnel).

Depends on your batch size, I’m normally only bottling at most 20 500ml bottles which take me about 5-10 minutes at most to prime with caster sugar (using a spoon and a funnel).
Well yeah, if you're quite happy with bottle priming then don't change. But the OP clearly isn't!

This is what I would do: Golden Syrup is too thick and sticky so warm it up in a pan with its own volume of water and stir it until it dissolves. If it looks thin enough to handle, put about 6ml in each 33 cl bottle. If it's still a bit thick, add another equal volume of warm water and add 9 ml to each bottle. Problem solved. If you want more condition go as much as 8 (or 12 if it's more dilute) in each bottle.
Problem solved.

Last edited:
This is what I would do: Golden Syrup is to thick and sticky so warm it up in a pan with its owm volume of water and stir it until it dissolves. If it looks thin enough to handle, put about 6ml in each 33 cl bottle. If it's still a bit thick, add another equal volume of warm water and add 9 ml to each bottle. Problem solved. If you want more condition go as much as 8 (or 12 if it's more dilute) in each bottle.
Problem solved.
How can that be easier than a bowl of sugar, a measuring spoon and a funnel?

Its not Terry but somebody's take on it and as you know we all like to experiment, its the only way to find out the best way I'me with you sugar a spoon and funnel

I'm personally not a fan of priming each bottle but I'm aware many are. As was mentioned, sticky liquid would be a mess.
I'm not sure what the aversion to batch priming is. There is an extra container to rinse but that takes a couple minutes. Some mention lack of carbonation consistency which I haven't experienced.
In any case, if you're going to use a syrup, I would batch prime. I'm not sure why you don't have or want this option. You're experienced so you probably already know that if you curve the end of the siphon tubing along the bottom of the bottling bucket, it creates a whirlpool that will mix the priming solution.

I find that most of the work is in preparing the bottling, but I always split this in two.

The first evening I rinse and inspect my bottles, using a chlorine based sanitiser and rinsed with a metabisulfite solution. I let them drain on a rack.

The second evening I collect my fermentation vessel, a bottling bucket, and all the other stuff needed. I always batch prime with brewing sugar (glucose/dextrose), because it dissolves very easy. Once the bottling bucket has been prepared with the brewing sugar, a tiny bit of hydrated bottling yeast (to be sure!) and the racked wort, the filling and capping of the bottles is the easiest part of the job.

Thank you for the feedback all.

@terrym I use the 330ml as I try and recycle as much as I can and I tend to have more of these to hand, also helps moderate my intake.

@chopps The syringe is a good shout, I have two kids so there are always plenty of these in the house.

@An Ankoù thank you I will start with this method and see how it pays off.

@DavidDetroit I've always erred away from a bottling bucket as I thought it introduces oxygen to the beer and that it surely can't be as simple as a second bucket with a tap off?

Ultimately though. I need to suck it up and get bigger bottles and batch prime it by the sounds of it.

I thought it introduces oxygen to the beer
There is some but the liquid upon siphoning isn't getting splashed around. It's not as keen as a closed-transfer, obviously. It depends on a brewer's willingness and desire to go the extra few yards or not. I'm a "not."
Ideally (though usually not practical), place the FV where it can sit for a day prior to being siphoned into the bottling bucket so any sediment that was disturbed from moving it can fall back down. You add your cooled priming sugar solution to the bottling bucket, siphon your FV contents into the bottling bucket and then bottle. I haven't used a tap with a bottle wand but that would be an excellent way to get the job done with one person.

Latest posts

Back