Goldings Vs EK Goldings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickeywheelspin

Reaction score
In preparation for my first AG BIAB brew at the weekend I popped to the LHBS today to get the various supplies needed and, like a prat, picked up Goldings when the recipe I'd put together in BeerSmith used East Kent Goldings.

Two questions...

Is there much of a difference in terms of flavour / aroma?

I've looked at changing the recipe to suit but there isn't a goldings option, only Canadian, Styrian and East Kent. How do I change the hops? The EKG in BeerSmith quote an alpha of 5% and the pack I have states 3.49%. Is it as simple as overriding the alpha in BeerSmith and correct the quantities to suit the desired IBU?

Thanks, I've seen similar posts on various types of hopps from different countries, but the ones I have are both UK varieties.

I reckon I'll just fix the IBU's in beersmith, adjust the recipe to suit and hope for the best.

My understanding is all goldings hops are more or less the same just grown in different places. My graham wheeler, brew your own british real ale just refers to 'goldings' for the receipes so you can just choos which one you have available and then just adjust the AA% in the receipe using your favourite software

My understanding is all goldings hops are more or less the same just grown in different places. My graham wheeler, brew your own british real ale just refers to 'goldings' for the receipes so you can just choos which one you have available and then just adjust the AA% in the receipe using your favourite software
Just pmd that lol

Leafed through that book the other day. My missus likes Deuchars IPA and I think there's a recipe in there for that. What's the book like ? Worth getting ?

Leafed through that book the other day. My missus likes Deuchars IPA and I think there's a recipe in there for that. What's the book like ? Worth getting ?

My addition is the third addition and does have a recipe for Deuchars. The first half of the book is basic AG brewing which you can find on the web and other books of course. The second half is receipes it's mostly milds and bitters with a very few (6) stouts and porters. So if you like those kinds of beers, yes its worth it.

As I'm sure you know clone receipe's are quite often just tributes to the original. Some times you'll make a clone and it'll taste just like the original - I think the Fullers London porter clone I've made more than once is definately a 'clone' but I've tried repeatedly to make the London Pride clone and failed.

I really like BROBRA as the receipes are pretty simple and I really enjoy milds/ordinary bitters . Almost all are just two hop additions 60/10.

Some people are really into receipe creation and trying out different hops and grains and I understand that but I just like to K.I.S.S. and follow a simple reciepe which I know will turn out a balanced beer in a style I like.

My addition is the third addition and does have a recipe for Deuchars. The first half of the book is basic AG brewing which you can find on the web and other books of course. The second half is receipes it's mostly milds and bitters with a very few (6) stouts and porters. So if you like those kinds of beers, yes its worth it.

As I'm sure you know clone receipe's are quite often just tributes to the original. Some times you'll make a clone and it'll taste just like the original - I think the Fullers London porter clone I've made more than once is definately a 'clone' but I've tried repeatedly to make the London Pride clone and failed.

I really like BROBRA as the receipes are pretty simple and I really enjoy milds/ordinary bitters . Almost all are just two hop additions 60/10.

Some people are really into receipe creation and trying out different hops and grains and I understand that but I just like to K.I.S.S. and follow a simple reciepe which I know will turn out a balanced beer in a style I like.

Ordered it :-P.

According to Amazon it is going to arrive tomorrow (Sunday) :shock:

I have recently done the Deuchers IPA and can confirm it is very good. Didn't have a bottle of the original to compare but was how I remember it. Bearing in mind bottle gravity is different to cask.
From a personal point of view I would add a few more hops.

I think this is a fantastic book if your into bitters and milds

I'm really enjoying my Ridleys's 1983 mild and I brewed an ESB today (just 5 litres, the Missus complained I was messing up the kitchen again :-?). I did the ESB as a trial before scaling up. Sort of relevant to this thread as it has EKG hops in it. It's fermenting in a 5 litre water bottle with the lid loose, as mentioned before you've broken my air lock addiction. I happily brew in 2 litre water bottles with a loose lid these days.

Anyway I'm planning on doing some bitters (and deffo the duechars) so it should be a good read.

I'm doing the Gales Butser Bitter from GW's book tommorow. I had a pint of Gales Seafarer ale in the Fullers pub I usually go in (Fullers now own Gales, if you didn't know) and really enjoyed it. I went back the next week for another to be told by the bar chap that itwas off and Fullers are no longer making it:-(.

I had a look for a clone receipe but couln't find one. Based on the ABV%, my guestimation of the IBU and by the look of the receipe, I think the Butser may be quite close to the seafarers

Latest posts

Back