Good boozers in York

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was there at the weekend for my 70th, we did Brew York and Brew Dog, but from memory other good pubs are
The maltings
The blue bell
The Black swan
The Crosskeys

Last edited:
Going to York for a couple of days, do any forum members have any recommendations for a good pub?

That' a bit like asking for recommendation for the best bit of coal in Newcastle - there's no shortage of good pubs in York, it's one of the great pub towns/cities.

Which means the answer will depend a bit on where you're staying and what you're into, especially as a lot of the GBG-type pubs are out of the city centre, there's a lot in the middle which are amazing, old, buildings, but can have rather unadventurous beer selections. Although the medieval ones get the attention, arguably York's most important pub interiors are some that were remodelled in the early 20th century and not really touched since then - the Blue Bell, the Golden Ball and Swan. See the CAMRA heritage site :
https://pubheritage.camra.org.uk/pu...84&long=-1.08196&range=5&orderby=distance:asc
And for the views of GBG bloggers, see :
https://retiredmartin.com/tag/york/https://www.google.com/search?q=york+site:brapa-4500.blogspot.com
The Maltings was always my regular haunt when I lived near York, although it was never quite the same after they extended it.

Having lived in York since 2006, I can tell you the best place I know is Brew York on Walmgate., if you like craft beer (only recently visited as well, shame on me!). AND the food is ridiculously good! Upstairs is the beer hall, and downstairs is more of the cask stuff. I prefer upstairs personally.

If you're the more traditional beer drinker, the recommendations above will be more suited to you.

All of the above plus Valhalla and Pivní. Grew up in York and it's a marvelous place to go for a beer.

Top picks for me

Trembling Madness in Stonegate
Brew York
The Maltings
Kings Arms

Last edited:
Definitely try The Hop if you get chance - was my fave pub, when me & wifey went over at Xmas. A dark (slightly theatrical/gothic?) feel in the front & nice open seated area in the back. Brilliant for craft ales & the pizza would have your drooling into your pint 😋

The Fossgate Tap and Tank & Paddle were fine, provided you don't mind bars to pubs in T&Ps case. The Maltings also had decent beer & a nice traditional if slightly sparse feel

The Bootham Tavern is a good shout for a friendly locals pub. I also liked the Old White Swan for its old charm, but equally because it had Oakham Citra on at the time! 😉

Thornbridge also have a pub (Market Inn I think?) that's worth a visit if you like their stuff - a bit pricey, corporate & can be busy, but great beer

York is quite compact & it felt like there's a pub every 20 metres or so in parts of the centre.

You definitely won't struggle to find some good liquid refreshment! 🥴😉

Ps - Food wise, Yakamoz is a great shout for tasty Turkish food.

If you like steak, The Whippet Inn will have you salivating like Homer Simpson (pricey & may need to pre-book, but totally worth it)

We couldn't get in Delrios, but that looked amazing, if you like Italian & want something a bit coupley/romantic...

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for your suggestions folks, I took a few of them on board so here's a snap shot of some of the beers that I had along with the pub that they were enjoyed in.

The Golden Fleece with a Timothy Taylors Landlord
imgly_4638765710931621652.jpg

Hole in the Wall where I had a Boondoggle
20220418_182111.jpg

Pavement Vaults where a Neck Oil was had
20220418_192953.jpg

Chinook from Ossett at the Waggon and Horses (where we stayed)
20220418_203852.jpg

The Last Drop Inn where I had a Black Sheep Pale Ale
20220419_151409.jpg

Brew York Beer Hall with a Kairuku
20220419_164715.jpg

The Rose and Crown with a Yankee by Roosters
20220419_184650.jpg

Rook and Gaskill with an Ekuanot Crush
20220419_204430.jpg

York Tap with a Jarsa
20220420_131138.jpg

Sorry for the huge post but it was an epic couple of days in an awesome city.

It's a fantastic place to visit.

A few hours round the local pubs, & I was planning my strategy for persuading the missus we should move here! 😉

Thank you all very much for your suggestions folks, I took a few of them on board so here's a snap shot of some of the beers that I had along with the pub that they were enjoyed in.

The Golden Fleece with a Timothy Taylors Landlord
View attachment 67039

Hole in the Wall where I had a Boondoggle
View attachment 67040

Pavement Vaults where a Neck Oil was had
View attachment 67041

Chinook from Ossett at the Waggon and Horses (where we stayed)
View attachment 67042

The Last Drop Inn where I had a Black Sheep Pale Ale
View attachment 67043

Brew York Beer Hall with a Kairuku
View attachment 67044

The Rose and Crown with a Yankee by Roosters
View attachment 67045

Rook and Gaskill with an Ekuanot Crush
View attachment 67046

York Tap with a Jarsa
View attachment 67048

Sorry for the huge post but it was an epic couple of days in an awesome city.

Gosh yes, rook and gaskill! Totally forgot that one and is an awesome pub! Used to do the quiz night a lot when we lived a bit nearer!

Glad you enjoyed yourself and hope you come back soon!

Back