Good lager in the UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not really a lager fan, but that's probably because I've had very few good ones. I really need to step away from the ales once in a while and check out the lager offerings in my locals which serve mostly german and Czech ones.
Of the few British ones I've tried, I did so because they get a lot of hype on social media. Lost & Grounded Keller Pils is very nice; lots of malt flavours and probably more hoppy than a traditional pilsner.
Donzoko Northern Helles is another highly rated one, but it was just too bland for me. Maybe it shouldn't have been the first one I had that day, it was very refreshing but I prefer a bit more going on in my beers.
I'm looking forward to trying a lager from this new brewery though www.manchesterunionbrewery.com . They are only going to be doing craft lagers so I expect them to be on top of their game.

I'm not really a lager fan, but that's probably because I've had very few good ones. I really need to step away from the ales once in a while and check out the lager offerings in my locals which serve mostly german and Czech ones.
Of the few British ones I've tried, I did so because they get a lot of hype on social media. Lost & Grounded Keller Pils is very nice; lots of malt flavours and probably more hoppy than a traditional pilsner.
Donzoko Northern Helles is another highly rated one, but it was just too bland for me. Maybe it shouldn't have been the first one I had that day, it was very refreshing but I prefer a bit more going on in my beers.
I'm looking forward to trying a lager from this new brewery though www.manchesterunionbrewery.com . They are only going to be doing craft lagers so I expect them to be on top of their game.
I forgot about Lost & Grounded Keller Pils, I've had it before at a beer tasting. It was really good, but I don't think I served it cold enough which makes a difference. My friend who recommended it said he had it on tap and it was great.

I think Market forces drive it, the vast majority of beer drinkers probably just want to have a drink and get a bit ****** and not worry about it tasting good, many probably do not even know better sadly.

Because of this many can make it cheap barely any barley and few hops charge it up to fizziness and box it and stack em high in tescos.. It is a shame because a good lager and a great AG one you make yourself can be an amazing drink but the reputation is ruined by walls of **** for the mass market.

A good beer is a beer you enjoy drinking. That's all there is to it.

Just playing devil's advocate, you know, but it's funny the judgement that is placed on lager drinkers. If I were to apply the same methodology to wine drinkers - only £7 and from a supermarket! - I'd be called a snob.

Joking aside though, I wonder how much of the attitude towards lager is on account of people on here being acutely aware of various aspects of beer and therefore needing to find something remarkable in order to enjoy a beer. Or dare I say it, do we just want to appear a little bit cleverer (important) than the man next to us at the bar? There's also a lot of "craft beer - how dare they call it that" that goes on here, undertone being that "they're not as good at making beer as I am".

To be honest, you could apply this to pretty much anything in life - the food we eat, the clothes we wear, the car we drive - although often that would result in coming across as snobbish. Somehow it just seems less snobbish because it's beer?

Not sure I have a point that I'm actually making here.

Hoorah for Chateau Margaux.

Just try any one of the various new Guinness products. Their adverts say they are "double hopped" and have a "refreshing golden hue" so they must be amazing!

Latest posts

Back