Good pubs in Derby

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_H

Regular.
Reaction score
Morning all

Off to Derby this Saturday with a few mates for an all afternoon, evening and most of the night for a good session. We all love good ale and craft beer, does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally ones that serve local beer.thumb.

Morning all

Off to Derby this Saturday with a few mates for an all afternoon, evening and most of the night for a good session. We all love good ale and craft beer, does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally ones that serve local beer.thumb.
I love Derby, the city and the football team. You really can't wrong, so many good pubs but top of my list. The Brunswick and Derby Tap. (Decent food in the Tap as well) Both always heaving on match days but the Rams are away tomorrow so you should be ok.
🍻🍻🍻🍻

I love Derby, the city and the football team. You really can't wrong, so many good pubs but top of my list. The Brunswick and Derby Tap. (Decent food in the Tap as well) Both always heaving on match days but the Rams are away tomorrow so you should be ok.
🍻🍻🍻🍻
The Smithfield and Greyhound as well. And The Alexandra a stone's throw from the Brunswick.

Thanks ScrumpyRam, we are 5 mins away from The Brunswick so that is already on the list but will check out your other suggestions too athumb..

So many options in Derby. If you have the time it might be worthwhile starting in Duffield especially if you can get yourselves over to the Hollybush at Makeny. Then head into Derby by train from Duffield, the Brunswick will be right there, then the Alexandra, head into the city centre for The Tap (Derby Brewing Co pub), maybe steal a cheeky one in the Exeter Arms just around the corner, the Silk Mill, Dolphin. From there you can either head into the centre of town to Suds and Soda (for some bang upto date modern IPA stuff) then out to the Greyhound (Derby Brewing Co). Or head out north to the Flowerpot, Seven Stars and the Five Lamps!

A few I've missed off that list too, but you wont go too far wrong in Derby. You'll have a blast.

Thanks for your input everybody, sadly we were a few hours late due to the fuel situation but got to Bustler market for 5ish for some quick food and a few beers (impressive setup if slightly pricey) probably better to spend a few hours there, then moved onto the Alexandra which was more like a train museum:oops: but had an amazing hippy cask ale, onto the Brunswick for their house stout. I preferred the pub but the selection was better at the Alexandra.

Back to the hotel to shower and a quick stroll to The Olde Dolphin, was busy and stuffy inside so quickly ordered a local bitter and headed to the garden, moved onto the Old Silk Mill which seemed much more commercial so stuck to lager, nice busy vibe though and they were showing the fight so we stayed for a few. Next up was The Flowerpot which was a lovely pub but everyone was next door for a gig and it seemed like the most of the ale had been cleared out, no memory on what we ordered and we had to meet someone who was late arriving in some huge Wetherspoons for a few while they caught up and then onto some German themed bar where it all goes rather hazy...

I can highly recommend Derby if you want a small city with reasonable hotel prices and good cheap ale ( £3.30-£3.50 on average). We will be back with more time to check out every decent pub we can walk to :beer1:

So many options in Derby. If you have the time it might be worthwhile starting in Duffield especially if you can get yourselves over to the Hollybush at Makeny. Then head into Derby by train from Duffield, the Brunswick will be right there, then the Alexandra, head into the city centre for The Tap (Derby Brewing Co pub), maybe steal a cheeky one in the Exeter Arms just around the corner, the Silk Mill, Dolphin. From there you can either head into the centre of town to Suds and Soda (for some bang upto date modern IPA stuff) then out to the Greyhound (Derby Brewing Co). Or head out north to the Flowerpot, Seven Stars and the Five Lamps!

A few I've missed off that list too, but you wont go too far wrong in Derby. You'll have a blast.
Hey Hoppyscotty. The Hollybush is a brilliant pub and they do a superb sunday lunch there. My train is due in at 2.30 on Wednesday, first stop on the way to the Prem Inn will be the Brunswick, then i think i'll try out some of the other pubs you mention before the Tap ( i love Derby Brewing Co beer) on the way to PPS. It could get messy.......:beer1::beer1::beer1:

If you have time in makney then the dead poets up in Holbrook is a great pub with great beers,its also run by the Brunswick team, spotted cow in Holbrook is good to. We're spoilt for choice round this area for good real ale🍺🍺

If you have time in makney then the dead poets up in Holbrook is a great pub with great beers,its also run by the Brunswick team, spotted cow in Holbrook is good to. We're spoilt for choice round this area for good real ale🍺🍺
I was actually born at Holbrook hospital way back in 1958!! I will make an effort to visit them. Belper has some good pubs too.
like your name btw athumb..

Your already a local then!! The hospital is a nursing home now. you're certainly a committed rams supporter ,shame about the mess they find themselves in.

Latest posts

Back