Good Value Hotels in or around Manchester

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,looking fro some guidance as my daughter shall be starting Manchester University in September and I'm looking for 3 nights accommodation for my wife and myself for the 11th,12th and 13th so as we can get her settled in and of course enjoy the surrounding area and will have my own vehicle so travelling within reason won't be an issue.Grateful for any info.

It really depends what you plan to do for the 3 days.

Fallowfield is the student area/village and has good bus and rail links into the city, but there's not a great deal there if your not a student.

Trafford quayside is quite nice as you have a few shops, cinema, theatre and media city. It's walking distance to old Trafford stadium and there are a few hotels of various prices and qualities. You can get a tram from there into the city and it won't cost a bomb if u want a taxi back.

Trafford Centre shopping mall has at least 4 hotels, good transport links and is right next to the M60. There is loads to do there and free parking but it's a fair way from the city centre.

If you opt to stay in the city there are plenty of hotels to choose from and I would book sooner rather than later to get the cheapest prices. Always check the car parking pricesas they can be as much as the hotel.

Gmex premier inn is the best of that brand in the city but there are loads of hotels to choose from and it purely depends on your price range once you've decided where to stay.

Make sure you go to cloudwater at Piccadilly Gardens!

I live in Manchester but can't really help with hotels sorry. The Salford Quays area is great, as above, you can travel into town on the tram. Best pub I'd say is the Marble Arch, great building and great beer. A 5 min walk north from the Northern Quarter. Cafe Beermoth in town is great. Plenty of others.

Not much help but if you have any Qs I'll try to answer them.

Depends on what you're looking for, but it's worth checking some of the business hotels in the city centre, they can have some cracking deals over the weekend (and I imagine they're desperate for trade at the moment). Last time SWMBO stayed there Friday-Saturday, she ended up in ???the Ibis on Portland St??? for the same price as somewhere miles out. Obviously if you've got the car that might be less practical, but it's worth seeing what arrangements they have for parking.

Manchester is arguably the best place to go drinking in the UK, with everything from hardcore crafties like Cloudwater to charismatic old pubs like the Briton's Protection and the Peveril (see the CAMRA Heritage List for more), two worlds that come together at the Marble Arch. If you drink anywhere, go to the Marble Arch, but it's a bit out of the way and can get very busy - probably the best tactic is to leave the girls in the Arndale Centre for an hour or two. Café Beermoth is closer to the Arndale and fairly big so is a convenient place to meet up. But there's a lot of great places all fairly close together in the centre. A lot of the breweries are in and around the railway arches behind Piccadilly - Beer Nouveau is the spiritual home of homebrewing in Manchester and interesting for heritage beers, but there's a bunch of others - Squawk, Track (along with Marble Pint, Track's Sonoma is arguably *the* Manchester session beer), Wander Beyond, Alphabet, Manchester Union (lager only) etc.

Latest posts

Back