Good wash recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhotitfc

Reaction score
Hey, anyone got a good recipe to make a base wash. Sort of between 15-18% using Youngs super wine yeast.

Thanks

My 25 litre sugar wash,

5kg sugar
180g tomato puree/ or proper nutrients from a tub
juice of 1 fresh lemon
1/4 tsp epsom salts
75g dried active bakers yeast

If you want 15% to 18% you will have add more sugar in steps.
18% is achieveable with bakers yeast

From my previous attempts, if you try to ferment sugar water with Young's or any other wine yeast, those yeasties will turn around and tell you to get stuffed, no matter what you add in the way of nutrients.

I have only ever tried baker's yeast once, and they didn't get much further, but I've never tried feeding and coaxing them as Robbo suggests.

i have made a wash to 9% with youngs super wine yeast using normal nutrient with juice from a lemon. it fermented out in normal time then i added orange cordial and did a 2nd ferment with that. i should imagine it will work with more sugar and maybe another tsp of nutrient but my attempt turned out horrible.

tbh not much of a wash expert- i stop at 9% - simply because its quicker and easier and the champagne yeast at those lvls needs only minimal nutrients(boiled baking yeast is good), doesnt need fining, or carbon and adds a nice taste- also it drops clear v fast

if desperate to hit 18%, champagne yeast, lots of nutrients and add the last kilo in stages -or alcotec yeast and get ready to filter it

Back