Goodbye EU - 2 nights in Brussels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NPi

Regular.
Reaction score
Evening all

I am (hoping, as long as this virus does not cancel it) spending a long weekend in Brussels late September and looking for a few recommendations re brewery and beer tours. I am aware Stella Artois and Leffe are close by (worth it?) along with lots more less commercial more local breweries. Looking for a beginners guide to Belgian beer and local food.

I would welcome any advice
Cheers, Nick
acheers.

Evening all

I am (hoping, as long as this virus does not cancel it) spending a long weekend in Brussels late September and looking for a few recommendations re brewery and beer tours. I am aware Stella Artois and Leffe are close by (worth it?) along with lots more less commercial more local breweries. Looking for a beginners guide to Belgian beer and local food.

I would welcome any advice
Cheers, Nick
acheers.
Welcome to the forum and I, for one, am very jealous of your planned weekend in Brussels. Advice? Avoid Artois and Leffe. Why drink stuff away, that you can drink at home, or anywhere else for that matter? I'll leave others to make recommendations. A certain strange fellow by the name of Steve seems to be particularly fond of Belgian beers.

I'm also very jealous, as soon as all this blows over I'm booking another trip to Belgium.

As above forget Leffe and Stella, they are to Belgian beer what Greene King and Carling are to British beer. As prog says Cantillon is an absolute must, it's like an incredible step back in time with a tap room serving some of the finest sour beers on earth.

There's also a much more modern brewery, the Brussels Beer Project who iirc open their tap room on Saturdays. They have some great beers too.

I think they're the only two breweries in Brussels, but there are countless great bars with equally countless great beers to try. My favourite pub is Poechenellekelder next to the manekin pis, in my opinion it's another must visit. Moeder Lambic is another great bar with a huge selection of craft beers. Delirium Cafe is a bit noisy and touristy, but the cellar bar has some more difficult to find and aged beers which make it worth a visit.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I had heard of the Brussels Beer Project, I believe they do lots of one of brews with bar code esq names (?). Either way it's now on my must list with the two commercial breweries struck off.

Any advice on beginner beers to try and particularly good places to try them in?

I'm also very jealous, as soon as all this blows over I'm booking another trip to Belgium.

As above forget Leffe and Stella, they are to Belgian beer what Greene King and Carling are to British beer. As prog says Cantillon is an absolute must, it's like an incredible step back in time with a tap room serving some of the finest sour beers on earth.

There's also a much more modern brewery, the Brussels Beer Project who iirc open their tap room on Saturdays. They have some great beers too.

I think they're the only two breweries in Brussels, but there are countless great bars with equally countless great beers to try. My favourite pub is Poechenellekeler next to the manekin pis, in my opinion it's another must visit. Moeder Lambic is another great bar with a huge selection of craft beers. Delirium Cafe is a bit noisy and touristy, but the cellar bar has some more difficult to find and aged beers which make it worth a visit.

Agree with all of the above. Brasserie de la Senne also Brussels-based brewery. Fantastic beer.

I'll second Cantillon; but here are some less obvious choices:

Brewery De La Senne A bit of a local darling. I adore their zennepils. Much preferable over Leffe and Stella (which is in Leuven - and further away than Pajottenland:

Pajottenland, home to lambics, is around the corner and makes for a good day trip. Beware though that in Belgium they are quite strict with their opening hours so best to check beforehand which ones are open and which ones are not.

3 Fonteinen Lambik-o-droom This is sour beer heaven and worth a day trip. Many of the bottles they serve are not sold elsewhere. It's a bit pricey though as you will quickly pay over 40 euro for a 75cl bottle. They also serve amazing paté and pottekeis (white cheese mixed with geuze).

De Cam This is a super small scale geuzestekerij (he buys innoculated wort and ages/blends it himself). It's only open on Sundays. There is something magical when you are in the middle of all the barrels and Karel, the owner, pours you some lambic straight from the barrel. One of the most underrated and best Belgian sours your can find.

In de Verzekering tegen de Grote Dorst (In the Insurance against Great Thirst) is a town pub in the middle of nowhere - and it's amazing! Voted the world's best bar multiple times and a day trip away.

Other nice breweries include Girardin, Oud Beersel, Tilquin, and Boon

Thanks @Dorst, these recommendations are great. Just hope it still gets to go ahead. I will update you all either way!

Cheers, Nick

All of the above!

La Source and Brasserie de l'Ermitage are worth a visit too 👍

Back