Goose island ipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo 2

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys I am new on this forum, just wondered if anyone could help formulate a partial mash recipe for goose island IPA. Had my first taste of the beer last Saturday and it was gorgous but at £5.30 a pint it needs to be, so decided to brew a 5 gallon batch myself only I am having problems getting a clone, the beer I bought was on draught by the way. I know the ABV 5.9, ibu 55, colour dark yellow, hops used are pilgrim, CELEIA, cascade, and centennial guessing the pilgrim is for bittering, malts are listed as 2 row, Bon, Munich, c20 , whatever that is ? , but have no idea of weights of the hops or the schedule to use them. I can mash a couple of kilos of grain no problem then use DME for the rest I have nowhere near the time or space for full mash brews so have brewed this way now for more years than I wish to remember. Cheers guys really appreciate any advice given , really want to give this one a go. 👍🍻🍻, cheers all tomm 2

Have you tried a Google? If you think it's nice now you should have tasted it before they ruined it!
Hi cling, no mate never had it before, or maybe a bottle of the stuff a few years back, but the one I tried recently was on draft and it was heaven in a glass for my tastes , how so have they ruined it then, was it even better than it is now? Would be interested in your opinion on what you think has changed. Cheers 🍻👍👍

My last try was in York last year and I thought it had changed a lot in terms of the hops used ...it smelled and tasted very artificial...a bit like air freshener!

Hi Tommo

I don't know about it changing, and I must admit I still haven't got around to brewing this recipe ... but I was reliably informed that the one there (link) was a good clone recipe, and have had it bookmarked ever since.

Who knows it might bubble up to the top of the "To Brew" list for me one of these days :confused.: ... but if you go for it before I do, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Sorry to hear that maybe just a bad un on the day, it happens, so again guys any help with a recipe would be greatly appreciated love to get this one in the fermenter. Cheers 👍🍻 and hoppy brewing 👍🍻

Hi Tommo

I don't know about it changing, and I must admit I still haven't got around to brewing this recipe ... but I was reliably informed that the one there (link) was a good clone recipe, and have had it bookmarked ever since.

Who knows it might bubble up to the top of the "To Brew" list for me one of these days :confused.: ... but if you go for it before I do, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it athumb..

Cheers, PhilB
Hi philB, don't suppose you could formulate that recipe to a partial mash with DME to make up the rest of the malt , noticed no centenial in hamishes recipe, but is listed on there web site, would love to try it out any way. Cheers PhilB appreciate your input and definitely let you know how this turns out when brewed and matured. 👍🍻 cheers.

Replace the pale malt with 60% the weight of pale DME, 5.2 x 0.6 = 3.12 kg DME. You would have to mash with the Munich, technically the Carapils and Caramalt could just be steeped, but it probably just as easy to add these in your mash as well if you have room. You could swap the Challenger bittering hop for Pilgrim if you wish, adjusting quantities based upon the %AA of your hops. There is Centennial included as a dry hop.

It changed when goose Island sold a percentage of their brewery to Budweiser. Budweiser started brewing it in NY and the used different shaped fermenting tanks. They poured something like a million pints down the drain before goose Island accepted what they produced. But It wasn't the same beer. Goose Island completely sold out to inbev a few years ago so God knows what they deem to be acceptable for this beer. I had it in the goose Island brew pub before they sold out (the first time) and it was a totally different beer to the one you get nowadays.

My last try was in York last year and I thought it had changed a lot in terms of the hops used ...it smelled and tasted very artificial...a bit like air freshener!
I was drinking it in Canada in January of this year and loved it, bought some overpriced cans a couple of weeks ago and it was awful!.

Replace the pale malt with 60% the weight of pale DME, 5.2 x 0.6 = 3.12 kg DME. You would have to mash with the Munich, technically the Carapils and Caramalt could just be steeped, but it probably just as easy to add these in your mash as well if you have room. You could swap the Challenger bittering hop for Pilgrim if you wish, adjusting quantities based upon the %AA of your hops. There is Centennial included as a dry hop.
... yeah, or you could, mash with around 1.85kg of Pale Malt and all the Munich and specialty malts and then add 2kg of light-DME ... and yes, if you wanted to stick closer to what they (say they) use at Goose Island, you'd bitter with Pilgrim and use Celeia in place of the Fuggles in the dry-hop (Celeia is just Fuggles grown in Slovenia, really, but it does bring slightly different things thanks to "terroir" and all) athumb..

It changed when goose Island sold a percentage of their brewery to Budweiser.
... phildo, I REALLY don't have any respect to spare for AB-Inbev either, but for your own sake, Let it Go!! ;) ... AB-Inbev bought Goose Island in 2011, the clone recipe I linked to was formulated in 2014 and Tommo had some GI IPA last Saturday, and liked it, so we really are all talking about cloning the same (if changed from how it was back in 2010) beer. athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Last edited:
Isn't the stuff you get here brewed in the UK? And isn't there a goose Island brew pub in London? Perhaps he had a pint in the brew pub and it is a lot closer to the original? All I know is, the cans you get in Tesco etc taste nothing like the original. There is a bar here that sells it and I have tried it. Tasted like a very average IPA, IMO. Pity.

Isn't the stuff you get here brewed in the UK? And isn't there a goose Island brew pub in London? Perhaps he had a pint in the brew pub and it is a lot closer to the original? All I know is, the cans you get in Tesco etc taste nothing like the original. There is a bar here that sells it and I have tried it. Tasted like a very average IPA, IMO. Pity.
I remember having their American Wheat Beer years ago and being blown away by it. I had it a couple of years back and was really disappointed. I think all of their beers have been affected.

I remember having their American Wheat Beer years ago and being blown away by it. I had it a couple of years back and was really disappointed. I think all of their beers have been affected.
Yip. I had their Honkers Ale quite a bit when I was in Chicago. A really lovely ale. Tried it not that long ago, from Tesco, and it was bland shyte.

Wow, seems I have opened a right can of worms here , sounds as a lot of you out there used to love this beer but now not so much, seems a shame I thought the couple of pints I tried last Saturday were luvly, I only wish I could try the beer that a lot of you blokes have tasted years back for a comparison, but any who thank you all so much for your input and advice, am going to brew it anyway and see how it turn out, ain't no such thing as bad beer so will sup it regardless, will be sure to post results when all matured and ready for slurping. Cheers chaps 👍🍻

Latest posts

Back