Gooseberry question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello, so I'm thinking about making some wine with tinned gooseberries (the Princes 300g tins).

I've got 4 tins on order, so 1200g of tinned gooseberries in syrup, and I've read somewhere that 600g is enough for 1 gallon (with 500g raisins per gallon) is this accurate? Has anyone tried it with this amount and what was it like?

Because it sounds like hardly any fruit and I don't want it to come out lacking in flavour.

That said, if I can get 2 gallons instead of 1 that still taste good then obviously that's great.

Work out from the label how much sugar is there. Are going to squeeze or boil the fruit?

There is 51g of sugar per can, I was planning on squeezing the fruit once it was in the bucket. It didn't seem necessary to boil it as it doesn't have any nasties in.

I figure raisins are about 60 percent sugar, so 500g of raisins is 300g sugar. So with 2 cans of gooseberries that's:

300 + 51 + 51 = 402g sugar so I would need about 750g maybe 800g extra sugar to bring it up to about 12.5 or 13 percent

Assuming my maths is right lol

That was my plan if it transpires 2 cans is enough flavour wise?

There is 51g of sugar per can, I was planning on squeezing the fruit once it was in the bucket. It didn't seem necessary to boil it as it doesn't have any nasties in.

I figure raisins are about 60 percent sugar, so 500g of raisins is 300g sugar. So with 2 cans of gooseberries that's:

300 + 51 + 51 = 402g sugar so I would need about 750g maybe 800g extra sugar to bring it up to about 12.5 or 13 percent

Assuming my maths is right lol

That was my plan if it transpires 2 cans is enough flavour wise?

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=raisin

Not much sugar in there!

51g per can? Or is it 51g per 100g. 1200g is plenty. You could always discard some syrup and use all the fruit.

I have not tried a gooseberry wine yet. Might be tempted to add some banana.

as well. When I make elderberry wine I use 250g of dried elderberries and two litres of fruit juice. I just saw bananas in an online gooseberry wine recipe, that's all.

Yes I see what you mean, it seems quite popular.

Maybe 500g or so per gallon to help with 'mouth feel'.

Excellent idea.

I'll have to make a start on this once I've moved my Rice and Raisin out of my bucket lol

I'm loving my red wines. I've tried many different Tesco 100% fruit juices to top up my dried elderberries and they all work well but the pineapple was not so good. Welch's purple grape juice is a good adjunct but apple also good. You can't make a red wine with red or purple grape juice but the elderberries certainly produce a lovely deep red and depth of flavour. I'm tempted to buy some commercial, Welsh gooseberry wine for Christmas so I'll be very interested to read how yours tastes.

Latest posts

Back