Gordon Elliott: Trainer says dead horse photo is real and apologises

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I heard this earlier and didn't know the reason why he was sat on a dead horse, i have just read he has said he took a phone call and sat down on the horse "without thinking" i have a feeling that people are not going to accept that as an excuse and he is getting what he deserves in the comments below (What has been the reaction?)

1614622142653.png

Leading Irish racehorse trainer Gordon Elliott has apologised for a photo circulating on social media of him sitting on a dead horse.

Elliott said in a statement that he took a phone call and sat down on the horse "without thinking" and the image was taken "some time ago".

The Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board (IHRB) has begun an investigation.

The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) said it was "appalled" and "considering its own regulatory options".

"People who work in our industry believe their values - of caring for and respecting our horses - have been deeply undermined by this behaviour" the BHA said. " On their behalf, and on behalf of all horse-lovers, we say loudly that British horseracing finds this totally unacceptable."

Elliott, 43, who is based in County Meath, is a highly successful trainer who has won the Grand National three times, including twice with Tiger Roll.

"I apologise profoundly for any offence that this photo has caused," he said.

"I can categorically state that the welfare of each and every horse under my care is paramount and has been central to the success that we have enjoyed.

"The photo in question was taken some time ago and occurred after a horse had died of an apparent heart attack on the gallops.

"At what was a sad time, which it is when any horse under my care passes away, my initial reaction was to get the body removed from where it was positioned.

"I was standing over the horse waiting to help with the removal of the body, in the course of which, to my memory I received a call and, without thinking, I sat down to take it. Hearing a shout from one of my team, I gestured to wait until I was finished.

"Such background information may seem trivial at this time and will not allay the concerns of many people both within and outside the world of horse racing."

What has been the reaction?

Eight-time champion jump jockey Peter Scudamore said the photo "was an act of crass stupidity".

"It just hit the bottom of my stomach," said the 62-year-old, as he recalled his reaction to seeing the image.

"I think everybody in racing I know hoped it was fake, and then there was a slow realisation that it's not a fake. It's desperate sadness on so many fronts.

"It is just such an appalling image and I'm very sad about it."

Michael O'Leary has said Gigginstown, who own Tiger Roll and a number of other horses trained by Elliott, will "continue to support him and his team, as they work to recover from this deeply regrettable incident".

He says the photo is "unacceptable" and "grievous" but calls it a "momentary lapse of judgement", adding "we all make mistakes" and that Gigginstown accepts Elliott's apology.

Cheveley Park Stud, who own several horses trained by Elliott including the unbeaten Envoi Allen, say they are "truly horrified" by the photo but will not comment further until the investigation by the IHRB is over.

The Jockey Club, which owns Cheltenham and Aintree racecourses, said: "Clearly this is totally unacceptable and not reflective of the respect and care that racehorses receive from participants in our sport.

"The anger and upset across racing says it all. We understand the authorities are reviewing this as a matter of urgency."

Betfair said on Monday it had chosen to end its relationship with Elliott, who had been an ambassador for the betting company.

"While we recognise that Gordon deeply regrets and apologised unreservedly for his poor judgement, his actions are completely at odds with the values of the Betfair brand and that of our employees," a Betfair spokesperson told the BBC. "With that in mind, we have decided to discontinue our association with Gordon with immediate effect."

The charity World Horse Welfare said: "This photo looks abhorrent. We understand the trainer has apologised and there is an investigation ongoing."

Great British Racing, the promotional body of British racing, said: "Respect for our horses is at the heart of everything that we stand for in British racing and the shocking image is counter to that and betrays the work of thousands of people loving and caring for our horses on a daily basis - we condemn it in the strongest possible terms."

An IHRB spokesman said on Sunday: "The investigation is ongoing and will be dealt with as quickly as possible."

Horse Racing Ireland also condemned the picture and supported the IHRB investigation, adding: "From a disciplinary perspective, the matter is in process, so any further comment on the matter or the detail of the case at this time would not be appropriate."

Crazy story.
I live in the same part of the world he's in (Meath).
My father, God rest his soul, worked in the horse industry all his life.
One of his best mates is a top farrier and regularly visits.

He has described Gordon Elliot (before this incident even broke) as a 'scumbag.'

One anecdote I heard, he continued to charge the owners of a racehorse training fees, six weeks after the horse had died.

It's disgusting that he seems to have no interest in the welfare of the horses (unlike my father).

It was made worse by the peace hand gesture i wonder how he would explain that.

The 'V' sign, made by holding up the index and middle fingers, initially was used to signal victory by Allied nations during World War II. Anti-war activists later adopted it as a symbol of peace, and today the gesture is known as "the peace sign."

In rural Meath, the 'V' for victory has no cultural significance.
The 'peace' symbol also has very little significance in Meath.

It's just a 'farmers' salute.
Pretty common sight from tractor drivers.

His explanation was he gestured to someone to hang on while he took a call..."two minutes/seconds" ??
He shouldn't have sat on the horse though..

All I can say is that my father's mate, who has worked with him professionally, has regurally called him a 'scumbag.'
And that was before this broke

All I can say is that my father's mate, who has worked with him professionally, has regurally called him a 'scumbag.'
And that was before this broke
Unfortunately alot of people fall into that category. I don't know much about horse racing but from what I have read he's very successful.
Which means it will blow over. Money talks

It's the main story on RTE radio this morning. Apparently a video is circulating on an unrelated incident.

I heard he was ignored by his peers at Fairyhouse racecourse at the meet during the weekend.

If owners start taking their horses from his yard his business will collapse.

It's the main story on RTE radio this morning. Apparently a video is circulating on an unrelated incident.

I heard he was ignored by his peers at Fairyhouse racecourse at the meet during the weekend.

If owners start taking their horses from his yard his business will collapse.
The video is of a jockey sitting on a dead horse. Rob James

Back