Gorse Flower wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliveoil54

Reaction score
Just watched a re-run of HFW River Cottage & he gives very brief instructions but no quantities or ingredients apart from the obvious for making gorse wine.
Anyone got an easy recipes please?

This is how I did it and its delicious.

2-3 pint glasses of gorse flowers
900g sugar (I think) S.G. was 1.110 so probably more.
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp glycerine
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp of white wine yeast
water to 1 gallon

1. Clean and bandage gorse damaged fingers

2. Wash gorse and put in a big pot with 3 litres of water bring to the boil and add the sugar and lemon juice.

3. Simmer mixture for 20ish minutes

4. Place in fermenting bucket for 48 hours to let the flavors out of the flowers.

5. Add yeast, pectolase and nutrient.

6. Allow to ferment for a week in bucket then sieve mixture through a teatowel and put in a DJ with airlock until fermented.

7. Follow normal rules for racking, clearing etc.

I am going to pick some more gorse as soon as I get a chance.

Forgot to mention I added a mug of strong black tea to the mixture. Might work out well as I forgot until it was half brewed myself.

Just had a glass. Its a lovely sweet wine as I'm not sure it would work dry with light floral taste with a hint of marzipan. You would never ever guess at first it was made from gorse. However you get a hint of the coconutty flavour in the aftertaste.

I have 2 uni assignments to be in but the end of the month and only started today :nono: :nono: but I am going out picking again as soon as they are done. Planning on a 5 gallon this time if my fingers can take the pain. :thumb:

Had a glass of gorse last night and although it was very nice when freshly brewed it has come 100x better. It actually tastes like the smell of gorse now.

Latest posts

Back