Gorse Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was very tempted when I saw a load on some bushes the other day but it’d be a pain in the **** to get enough flowers!

It's excellent! We have made it many times over the last thirty years. As mentioned if you make it now it does have a bit of a coconut aroma. It's a bit laborious picking, but I promise it's worth it.

I started a batch yesterday too (YouTube video to follow!). 5l of gorse flowers (if you get them in full bloom you can collect this in about 15-20 mins), 500g currants/raisins/sultanas, zest and juice of 2 lemons, half a cup of strong tea, about 1.3kg sugar (to hit around 1.09 OG) and some yeast nutrient. I'm literally just about to pitch the yeast now it's cooled down and leave to ferment for a few days before straining off into a demi-john.

I started a batch yesterday too (YouTube video to follow!). 5l of gorse flowers (if you get them in full bloom you can collect this in about 15-20 mins), 500g currants/raisins/sultanas, zest and juice of 2 lemons, half a cup of strong tea, about 1.3kg sugar (to hit around 1.09 OG) and some yeast nutrient. I'm literally just about to pitch the yeast now it's cooled down and leave to ferment for a few days before straining off into a demi-john.
Gorse bushes in full bloom up here at mo, how did yours turn out. Others have said it's well worth doing??🥂

Our gorse is still in hiding - not quite warm enough here for it yet 😉 My wine is still in the DJ - maturing (aka forgot about it!) must try and fish it out and give it a try! Sorry not much help 🙄
No worries. When you break it out can you let us know how it came out. Thanks. 🥂🥂😎

Gorse flower wine is definitely worth making. It's got a lovely delicate flavour with a hint of coconut. Depending on how you jiggery-pokery the ingredients, quite citrusy. Picking the flowers has always left my hands a bloodied mess though haha.

I'm just waiting on tannin and yeast nutrient popping through my door so I can get a batch on this year.

Would the flowers work in beer as a dry hop?
I seem to see Gorse all over
My own foray into using gorse flowers was a complete failure!

I gathered what I considered loads of gorse flowers and used them in a brew on the basis that I loved the taste of coconut.

Back then, my “go to” brew was a Wilco Cerveza for experimentation and a Hop Tea (in this case a Gorse Flower Tea) my “go to” method of introducing a new flavour.

At the end of the day my efforts were for nothing because either I picked the wrong flowers or not enough of them, because I just couldn’t taste the coconut I was looking for!

I hope you fare better!
:hat:

Did they smell of coconut when you picked them?

I doubt you would have mistaken Gorse, it's quite prickly!
Yes! Which is why I was disappointed at the result!

I’ve lived alongside gorse most of my life; it’s amazing how many small birds manage to build their nests right in the middle of the prickly stuff and as a kid I was an avid egg collector.
:hat:

I've just put on a gallon of gorse using the CJJ Berry recipe with the addition of an extra lemon (small) minus the zest and a touch more sugar. It tastes really good as it is... Can't wait for Christmas now to taste the finished wine!

I've just put on a gallon of gorse using the CJJ Berry recipe with the addition of an extra lemon (small) minus the zest and a touch more sugar. It tastes really good as it is... Can't wait for Christmas now to taste the finished wine!
Nice one. Can you let us know how it turn as out please, was going to do one this year but got to many others to do first. Gorse is top of my list for next year with Dandelion no 2.🥂

Nice one. Can you let us know how it turn as out please, was going to do one this year but got to many others to do first. Gorse is top of my list for next year with Dandelion no 2.🥂
I've just put it into the demijohn from the bucket. It's fermenting a bit slow.... Probably the extra sugar but bubbling away quite the thing still.

It had a bit too much extra sugar I think, can't remember the SG off the top of my head but wasn't the level of 17%abv potential. I topped up to the gallon with plain water to give it a better chance and reduce the final alcohol content a bit.

The little bit I got in my mouth while syphoning was rather tasty still (albeit sweet) so looking forward to it being finished. I'll not use finings with this one, so it will be a good few months before it's getting drunk. Probably Christmas time.

Meanwhile I transferred 5 gallons of superstrong pear cider into the pressure barrel (which I can't gas up yet) and bottled 5 gallons of sauvignon blanc kit wine. Can't remember which brand off hand. It tastes ok but has that nasty kit wine odour and aftertaste that disappears after a couple of months. Just as well I'm patient haha

Back