Got some Star San - am I doing this right?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobtheblob

Regular.
Reaction score
Mixed 1ml Star San in about 400ml tap water in a plastic spray bottle. Is this the right amount?
It's gone cloudy (very hard water here) but I've read that's ok, and bottled supermarket water should reduce the cloudiness.
If the PH stays below 3 it's still good to use even after keeping in the spray bottle for a while?
So do I just spray everything that needs sanitising and I'm good to go with no rinsing?
Thanks.

I can't speak to the ratio, I mix 5 gallons at a time, but as to the rest, yes. Do you have a pH meter to test your mix? if not, might be worth getting the distilled or RO to mix with, for peace of mind.

I mix 10ml to 5l of water, so that is a similar ratio to yours.
I used to use pH strips to check mine but now have a pH meter. My 5l solution has always stayed below 3pH even when it has gone cloudy and taken a month or two to use.
As you, say, just spray it on, no rinsing, to sanitise equipment. Just remember it is not a cleaner, you need to clean things first.

I've got some PH strips on the way in the post. Is it just spray and go? I hope to get a brew on tomorrow and use this Star San for the first time.

I mix 10ml to 5l of water, so that is a similar ratio to yours.
I used to use pH strips to check mine but now have a pH meter. My 5l solution has always stayed below 3pH even when it has gone cloudy and taken a month or two to use.
As you, say, just spray it on, no rinsing, to sanitise equipment. Just remember it is not a cleaner, you need to clean things first.

I may be misremembering, but doesn't the bottle say 15ml-25ml per 5l?

EDIT: actually, on second thoughts I think it says per 10L.

I do 1.5ml per litre....get one of those double ended spoons you get with kids medicine fill each side and add 5 litres of water.... dead easy,and enough to do all your kit on brew day.

Sorry to hijack the thread Bob.
A few questions to add along the same lines.
I have a spray bottle and intended to use it with chemsan which I think I'm right in assuming is the British version of starsan now. ?

I'm currently using Milton like I did in the past (also used chempro sdp, assume that is now vwp ? )

Starsan/chemsan seems expensive, does it work out cheaper than milton ie less needed ? Pros and cons ?

Latest posts

Back