Gozdawa Expert Baltic Porter opinions?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone got any comments on the above kit? I'm looking for a winter warmer/porter style to get under way in the next week or so, to be ready at the begining of the new year and I can't find any reviews here.

It's going to be bottled by the way.

Anyone got any comments on the above kit? I'm looking for a winter warmer/porter style to get under way in the next week or so, to be ready at the begining of the new year and I can't find any reviews here.

It's going to be bottled by the way.
Doesn't it have to be lagered for a fair while? I made an all grain and lagered it for 10 or 12 weeks.

Yes, Baltic Porter is traditionally lagered. I think it's fairly integral to the style to smooth out some of the stronger malt flavours.

Does the kit come with a lager yeast? Most lager kits seem to be provided with an ale yeast, which I'm sure would produce an ok beer but possibly not a Baltic Porter.

If I need to lager to get the best out of this kit/style, is it possible to lager in bottles? What timesale?
Why not just do an English porter? Do they have kits for those over there? All a Baltic Porter is, is a dark lager they have a cheek calling it a porter.
What do the instructions say, I doubt it will even have a lager yeast.

Why not just do an English porter? Do they have kits for those over there? All a Baltic Porter is, is a dark lager they have a cheek calling it a porter.
What do the instructions say, I doubt it will even have a lager yeast.
Ah, I just latched on to "Porter", I don't think this what I'm after. Time to rethink and search a bit more...

Thank you all for your input, appreciate the information!

I've tried this kit. It was nice, but it's not your normal brew and go kit like most other tinned stuff. Gozdawa kits do need a long time to get the best out of them. Else they end up being sink worthy trash. The difference is not phenomenal though. That's why they are mostly cheap. Brew this and do what it says on the tin. Else you will be very disappointed.

If you watch 'Beer kit reviews Partridge' on youtube you'll see they have reviewed a few of the Gozdawa kits and they are far from impressed although they have not had this particular one.
They are great to watch generally and their reviews are always entertaining too.

If you watch 'Beer kit reviews Partridge' on youtube you'll see they have reviewed a few of the Gozdawa kits and they are far from impressed although they have not had this particular one.
They are great to watch generally and their reviews are always entertaining too.

Yes I only saw these after buying the Gozdawa Black IPA. It's currently maturing in a corny but I've set my expectations low 😁

Latest posts

Back