Graduations on the inside of plastic vessels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunabeast

Reaction score
So on my DIY kettle element plastic bucket boiler I have marked external volume graduations, but despite this I find it incredibly difficult to monitor the level during a boil.

It would be nice to try and mark the inside somehow - permanent marker is the obvious choice but I'm pretty sure it'd impart nasties into the brew over time. Might be impossible but worth an ask - anyone got any ideas?

Hi!
Ullage stick - Dutto's solution.
You measure the dead volume at the top of the boiler ad threfore don't need to "dip your stick".
Add 1 litre of water to your boiler, hold the stick at the surface of the water and mark the stick at the lip of the boiler - 1 litre.
Add another litre of water and mark off 2 litres.
Do the same for every litre of water added until you have reached the max limit of the boiler.

Another option. As your heat source is in you kettle, you could stand the whole lot on a set of parcel scales, and weigh the wort.

I just measure the dead space down from the top with a stainless ruler and note the number of millimetres down on paper. My boiler is a cylinder so it's simple maths in a spreadsheet to know the precise volume.

Latest posts

Back