Graham Wheeler - Brew Your Own British Real Ale - BYOBRA - Yeast Selection

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't listen to what USians have to say about bread yeast, as they seem to have a very different strain as their main bread yeast. I've used Allinson's and it seems to be fine - not the most exciting but it ferments 5% beers fine.

Our bread yeast is wonderful in bread and pizza. I've tried it in beers on two or three occasions. Tastes like... bread and pizza.

Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire Ale) is meant to be the Timothy Taylor’s yeast.

Can anyone advise please regarding a pale ale conditioned in the bottle with a yeast which can be successfully be reprocessed? One of the best beers I have ever brewed was with Fullers 1845 yeast and I would like to do the same with a pale ale and was wondering specifically about Wye Valley HPA yeast assuming it is still bottle conditioned and if so that the yeast is not the sort to just liven up the bottle as opposed to brewing yeast. I am a bit wary as I tried this with Summer Lightning dregs years ago and it was rather feeble. Any comments will be most appreciated.

Wyeast 1469 (West Yorkshire Ale) is meant to be the Timothy Taylor’s yeast.

Not specifically to you @Thinbo

I asked this before, but I'm not sure I got an answer.

Here are my questions:

Where there is a single brewery with multiple beers, is it likely that they all use the same yeast strain?
Is this what is referred to as a House Yeast?
Or
Is it that each brew is likely to have its own yeast?
Or
"It depends on the brewery"

Thank you

Not specifically to you @Thinbo

I asked this before, but I'm not sure I got an answer.

Here are my questions:

Where there is a single brewery with multiple beers, is it likely that they all use the same yeast strain?
Is this what is referred to as a House Yeast?
Or
Is it that each brew is likely to have its own yeast?
Or
"It depends on the brewery"

Thank you

I’m fairly sure it’s their house yeast used in all their ales.
it’s definitely the one for Landlord

I have found the answer and terminology on a different site and it does appear that the yeast in bottles of HPA is " primary strain" and I was overlooking St Austell Proper Job.

Back