Graham Wheeler, still relevant?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess Charlie Papazian fits in too.

He gets mentioned by both Pattinson and Hamilton if I remember correctly. Kind of the guy who introduced craft brewing to the US, in the form of home brewing from the UK no? So without home brewing, the "craft brewing revolution" never would have been a thing... I've not personally read his work though.

Oh and nope, not been to a funeral since my nana Dunn died, and I was quite young then (she was my last surviving grandparent)... Not a huge fan of churches, so try to avoid going near them to be honest. lol Last time I wore my black suit was for a play I was in, need a new one now as it'd make a tent for me now (lost over 4 stone since then... lol).

Sorry, I am in England now, and have been enjoying lots of TT Landlords up here near Keighley, that’s why I’ve not been able to answer earlier:-). I brew the 1998 recipe. I really would recommend it
Thanks, in looking back I suddenly realised that you did say that before the recipes were posted. Going to brew that as a change from my regular bitter next time.

Thanks, in looking back I suddenly realised that you did say that before the recipes were posted. Going to brew that as a change from my regular bitter next time.
I hope you will like it as much as I do. Please let us know what you think once you’ve brewed it, it would be nice to have a fellow homebrewer’s opinion on my favourite beer.

I hope you will like it as much as I do. Please let us know what you think once you’ve brewed it, it would be nice to have a fellow homebrewer’s opinion on my favourite beer.
It'll end up in my brewday thread at some point, I'm not being great at keeping it up to date. Will post here if I remember the thread as it'll be a month before I came brew and I'm not sure the bitter will be next.

Now that I have the opportunity, I just want to say a few things about Graham Wheeler. I learned how to brew from his timeless book, The Camra Guide to Home Brewing, which was published in 1990. It is still a very relevant book and I still consult it regularly. I must have read that book from cover to cover so many times that my wife calls it my Bible! I remember now how eagerly I waited for the 2009 edition of his book to be published. He used to post on this forum but unfortunately I didn’t have the opportunity to thank him. As you probably know, he passed away last year. Thank you, Graham Wheeler, for sharing with us all that excellent information and your brilliant recipes. Here is what Roger Protz wrote about Graham Wheeler: https://protzonbeer.co.uk/features/2018/03/15/saluting-a-home-brewing-pioneer

Here here! I have the same two GW books and they are excellent. Only done a few of the all grain brews from the books though but they have all been great and the beer just as I like it. Raise your glass for GW!

By the way, this has come out great (Kulminator recipe). I did slightly adjust it with a small amount of chocolate malt and as stated earlier had to do a hop substitution.
Gravity check today showed 1.020 and its still got the occasional activity on the airlock. Very malty and a great colour.
I used mangrove jack bavarian lager.
Will keg in the next day or so assuming activity stops soon.

Latest posts

Back