Graham Wheelers book, quantities?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Monkhouse

Reaction score
I've just bought the above book and I'm reading through it with great interest. However, I'm a trfle confused about the volumes in the recipes. :wha:
In each recipe their are three quote volumes, the ones across the top of the recipe for 19,23 and 25 litres, then lower down there are two others,'total liquor' and mash liquor.
I understand the quantity for the mash is what the grist is mixed with what I don't understand is the difference between the values at the top and the total liquor value.

Referring to Dave Lines book there are two volumes-well three in total, one volume you mash in to 66deg. then a volume you sparge(if thats the right word) and then boil and then a total volume to top up with cold water to the required total, eg 25 litres. Could someone explain the volumes in Graham Wheelers book as I think I'm obviously too thick to understand. :lol:

I've used his book for a couple of recipes. The volumes at the top are what you would expect to get out at the end, ie 19, 23 or 25 liters of beer after fermentation.

The total liquor volume is the amount of water you should expect to use for the mash and sparge (you will loose fluid to the grain and boil etc).

The ones I did using a fly sparge, worked out pretty exactly to the expected volume and OG

Thanks for that, I sort of wondered if that was the case but now you've pointed it out its crystal clear, a bit like the beer I'm goinmg to brew!! :rofl:

fly sparging is when you sprinkle the water over the grain bed to flush all the sugars out usely done with a stationary arm with small holes in it or a rotating arm the other method is batch sparging where you soak the grain in the water let it run off and then put more water in to flush the remaining sugars out no sparge arm required :thumb:

Thanks for that, I think I'll be able to set my own brewery up by the end of the week(maybe not). :grin:

Latest posts

Back