Graham Wheelers British Ale Book and Yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbins

Reaction score
Hello all. I've got the above book and I'm going to have a crack at the Fullers London Porter for my second AG brew.

I can't seem to find any mention in the recipe section about the yeasts used. I'm presuming that the breweries had their own yeasts which may not be available now but what do people do use now? A generic regional type yeast?

If anyone could suggest a yeast to use with the Porter I'd be most grateful. I'm also thinking of doing a black sheep clone as my next brew and note that the white labs do a Yorkshire square yeast a few months a year. Should I get some of that now and or is there an equivalent I can use?

I don't suppose if people know if the black sheep brewery give away yeast? It's only a few miles from where I live. Thanks in advance people!

good luck with your brew.
Yeasts are a personal thing thats why GW doesn't specify one particular yeast, I think
Have a look at the yeasts on offer from one of our sponsors The Malt Miller.

http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... at&catId=4

a description and possible use is given with each one....then theirs liquid yeasts... :D

Hiya,

Something like a Windsor would be good for a porter, as it will leave a little more sweetness than something like a Nottingham or S04.

It probably won't compact as well in the bottom of the bottle though as it's flocculation is not as good.

Edit - another way is to find a bottle-conditioned porter (Thwaites do a few) and culture a yeast from that...

Thanks for all the responses. I like the idea of getting some of the Bengal lancer yeast. A couple of bottles would be the same price as buying some yeast with free beer thrown in on top!

Hobbins said:
Thanks for all the responses. I like the idea of getting some of the Bengal lancer yeast. A couple of bottles would be the same price as buying some yeast with free beer thrown in on top!

Everyone's a winner :thumb:

joey1002 said:
Hobbins said:
Everyone's a winner :thumb:

Don't mistakenly rinse the bottle out after drinking or you'll have to buy some more beer. :wha:

And that would never do! :party:

Hobbins said:
I don't suppose if people know if the black sheep brewery give away yeast? It's only a few miles from where I live. Thanks in advance people!

I don't know what yeast they use or if they give away but it is def worth asking - nearer to me I have had yeast from a local micro for free and know of friends who have collected some from Ringwood brewery... :thumb:

Back