Grain Bill too low for OG?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarenceBoddicker

Reaction score
Long time away from here but I finally have a grainfather set up in a place I can use it and planning a brew this weekend. One of my favourite modern Belgian breweries has shared some recipes on FB and I've bought ingredients to make all 3. I've attached the one for a Belgian IPA, but when I input into GF connect app it comes out at 1.046 with a FG of 1.015. Even if I cut to 19l that only gives me 4% abv when it should be 6.5! My initial thoughts are there is just not enough grain to boost it to correct OG but I am still pretty new to this lark. Ignore the add 24l at boil, that is a typo! Any thoughts most welcome. Edit; here is original link hope it works https://www.facebook.com/344933865625803/posts/2757565144362651/?substory_index=0&sfnsn=scwshmo&extid=Y0ybB5GHC5E3ilLXFB_IMG_1586600007974.jpg

Last edited:
Long time away from here but I finally have a grainfather set up in a place I can use it and planning a brew this weekend. One of my favourite modern Belgian breweries has shared some recipes on FB and I've bought ingredients to make all 3. I've attached the one for a Belgian IPA, but when I input into GF connect app it comes out at 1.046 with a FG of 1.015. Even if I cut to 19l that only gives me 4% abv when it should be 6.5! My initial thoughts are there is just not enough grain to boost it to correct OG but I am still pretty new to this lark. Ignore the add 24l at boil, that is a typo! Any thoughts most welcome.
Sorry I can’t read the recipe, any chance you can provide a link to the original thanks

I think that says 4kg pale malt for a 1.053 SG and 1.004 FG. I can’t see if it says what yeast to use but it looks like a high attenuator. Ditto I can’t see where it says how big the batch is

There are 2 things here:
1. They’ll get a much higher efficiency than us. If it’s a 20L recipe they must be basing it on an efficiency of 87% which is crazy and I don’t think even the brewery manage that kind of efficiency. I assume it must be for a smaller batch than that or they have “done a Brewdog” and “accidentally” put in the wrong quantity.

2. They must be using a yeast that’s a big attenuator, in the 90%ish range - possibly a saison yeast?

I looked on fb, someone else asked so you need to find the tutorial!

Julien Amand Thank you guys, but... I ran this into beersmith and to have your SG from 4kg of malt, I need an 87% efficiency, which most homebrewers hardly have on a good day ;)
Hide or report this

I looked on fb, someone else asked so you need to find the tutorial!

Julien Amand Thank you guys, but... I ran this into beersmith and to have your SG from 4kg of malt, I need an 87% efficiency, which most homebrewers hardly have on a good day ;)
Hide or report this
I watched the tutorial and they didn't mention that I don't think. I did ask them afterwards but no response. They are generally a good bunch, I crowdfunded them when I lived in Belgium last and am a beer@home customer so get 12 bottles every 2 months in the post. Some good stuff.

Long time away from here but I finally have a grainfather set up in a place I can use it and planning a brew this weekend. One of my favourite modern Belgian breweries has shared some recipes on FB and I've bought ingredients to make all 3. I've attached the one for a Belgian IPA, but when I input into GF connect app it comes out at 1.046 with a FG of 1.015. Even if I cut to 19l that only gives me 4% abv when it should be 6.5! My initial thoughts are there is just not enough grain to boost it to correct OG but I am still pretty new to this lark. Ignore the add 24l at boil, that is a typo! Any thoughts most welcome. Edit; here is original link hope it works https://www.facebook.com/344933865625803/posts/2757565144362651/?substory_index=0&sfnsn=scwshmo&extid=Y0ybB5GHC5E3ilLXView attachment 26339
I found the recipe on their website. With a OG of 1.053 and a FG of 1.004 you will get an ABV around 6.5%. But even though the yeast has a high attenuation the grainfather recipe builder estimates OG of 1.042 and FG 1.009 ABV 4.3% with a 4kg grain bill. I would add more grain, assuming you get an FG of 1.010 then 5.5Kg of grain will give OG of 1.058 and ABV 6.3%. If it finishes lower then you will get a stronger beer.

I found the recipe on their website. With a OG of 1.053 and a FG of 1.004 you will get an ABV around 6.5%. But even though the yeast has a high attenuation the grainfather recipe builder estimates OG of 1.042 and FG 1.009 ABV 4.3% with a 4kg grain bill. I would add more grain, assuming you get an FG of 1.010 then 5.5Kg of grain will give OG of 1.058 and ABV 6.3%. If it finishes lower then you will get a stronger beer.
If he’s using 2 sachets of a saison yeast I think the chances of it stopping at 1.010 are slim to none.

Thanks I assumed that would be the best way to boost the abv, the only problem now is I don't have sufficient pale ale malt so I'll root around and see what other grain I have (I wonder if a lager malt will work). Or maybe I'll brew the Big Bertha first as that recipe does achieve abv in GF recipe builder.

i think I’ve seen their beers here but never tried one.
It’s nice of them to release the recipes though, the ipa looks interesting.

Maybe not... haven't much spare grain without spoiling my second and third brews. Have a few hundred grams of pale wheat and crystal malt hut nothing else spare. Will go wit the Big Bertha this weekend. Thanks for the help and for making my mind up!
Thanks I assumed that would be the best way to boost the abv, the only problem now is I don't have sufficient pale ale malt so I'll root around and see what other grain I have (I wonder if a lager malt will work). Or maybe I'll brew the Big Bertha first as that recipe does achieve abv in GF recipe builder.
Maybe not... haven't much spare grain without spoiling my second and third brews. Have a few hundred grams of pale wheat and crystal malt hut nothing else spare. Will go wit the Big Bertha this weekend. Thanks for the help and for making my mind up!

i think I’ve seen their beers here but never tried one.
It’s nice of them to release the recipes though, the ipa looks interesting.
They are very good, a bit different and lots of new ones all the time. The lager is really good for a light, cold, hoppy summer drink.

Can you even get Smaragd hops in the UK? Sounds like something out of Lord of the Rings!

Latest posts

Back