Grain brew tastes like extract kits!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itry

Regular.
Reaction score
Ive done a few brews recently and they have come out not so good. Its always a punkish type beer or a plain ipa with a bit of hops. I couldnt describe the flavour but i knew it was off. Then last night i tried a bottle of extract kit home brew(probably a mango jacks) from a friend. That is the taste!!! The off taste im getting is exactly like an exctract kit!! How does that happen ? Could it be down to fermenting temps ??

I think it was all in the late 20s earlie 30s .it was an insulated shed in the summer. It dosnt taste foul. Its still drinkable. Do you rember when you started out with home brew bag kits , pour the extract add the water and yeast. It tasted ok but their is a funny twang and you dont know quite what it is. And every one says , thats home brew isnt it. But you can tell its their.

Ok. Ill bare that in mind from now on. I currently have a stout on the go but am using a chiller system to keep it at 18c. Its working but not going mental. Lets see how it turns out.

So we can state your real beer youve made tastes like starter home brew because the yeast was to hot. I will try again after this brew

So ive just been out to check my temp controlled ferment. Its really slow. So slow infact it has a guiness head only on it! See attached photo. Normally they go nuts out their and the crausen goes every where! Were slowley picking off the points but its coming down to fg.

Attachments

• 20190912_183220.jpg
    20190912_183220.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 20190912_183235.jpg
    20190912_183235.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 163
I have a digital greenhouse thermometer that gives the maximum and minimum temp in my Carbing chamber, great information and so simple.

Also sheds are notorious for huge swings in temps. Some people think that swings in fermentation temps are even worse than fermenting at too high a temp

If only we could ask the yeast! Temperature swings do seem to stress the yeast and this is referenced wherever you read up on the subject.
Basically, a shed is OK for storing equipment, or even the finished beer, but very suspect for fermenting, especially if it can catch the sun at all.

So ive just been out to check my temp controlled ferment. Its really slow. So slow infact it has a guiness head only on it! See attached photo. Normally they go nuts out their and the crausen goes every where! Were slowley picking off the points but its coming down to fg.
I have to ask. How long do you leave your beer fermenting? Kits are notoriously optimistic with fermenting time. And since you are fermenting at high temp your beer must finish faster, have a bigger krausen etc. If you like high temps. Try Kveik Yeast. It finishes in 3 days and makes awesome beer.

Also sheds are notorious for huge swings in temps. Some people think that swings in fermentation temps are even worse than fermenting at too high a temp

True thing. Stable at 25º is better than swings between 20º and 25º, and English yeasts are more tolerant than others.

Did some research whilst brewing and being on holiday for 10 days during this summer.

I have been making wine first by helpin my dad for 55 yrs>If i have discovered one secret it is this KEEP FERMENTATION TEMPERATURE STABLE.
heat or cool as you please but keep it STABLE.

Back