Grain Mill - care & maintenance

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all

So for my recent anniversary my wife kindly (after strict instructions and the correct link) bought me a 3 roller grain mill from the chaps at Malt Miller (with some grain too!). I used it at the weekend for a Peat Smoked Porter, and I absolutely love it. I'm not sure if it was the finer mill or lower grain bill but my sparge was much quicker - around half the time it usually takes, and my target OG was right on the money.

Anyway, that aside - what I'm after is any hints and tips on care and maintenance of my mill, since I want it to last for donkeys! I was thinking of getting pressurised air canister to give it a blast after crushing to get rid of any "bits" left on the rollers. Obviously keep it in a dry place - I'm debating about whether to take it in the house or leave it in the garage. Anything else I should watch for?

Thanks!

Hey all

So for my recent anniversary my wife kindly (after strict instructions and the correct link) bought me a 3 roller grain mill from the chaps at Malt Miller (with some grain too!). I used it at the weekend for a Peat Smoked Porter, and I absolutely love it. I'm not sure if it was the finer mill or lower grain bill but my sparge was much quicker - around half the time it usually takes, and my target OG was right on the money.

Anyway, that aside - what I'm after is any hints and tips on care and maintenance of my mill, since I want it to last for donkeys! I was thinking of getting pressurised air canister to give it a blast after crushing to get rid of any "bits" left on the rollers. Obviously keep it in a dry place - I'm debating about whether to take it in the house or leave it in the garage. Anything else I should watch for?

Thanks!
I keep mine in the garage and a run with a hoover does no harm as long as its not wet.

Hey all

Thanks!
I've got that one. Good choice. I just dust off the hopper and rollers afterwards with a dry pastry brush then pack it away in the box it arrived in and keep inside the house. If you store it in the garage it might rust.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Hadn't even considered something as simple as a brush, lol. Common sense often escapes me :laugh8: I think I may well store it inside as well, I've got room in my airing cupboard that will be nice and toasty warm.

Latest posts

Back