Grain spirit availability in the UK

Discussion in 'Commercial Beer/Spirits & Brewery Discussion.' started by RockySpears, Feb 12, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

Tags:
  1. Feb 12, 2019 #1

RockySpears

RockySpears

RockySpears

OK, I've Googled, but nothing but commercial quantities of a pure spirit, 96% or so, comes up.
    Does any one know where I can get a pure spirit without having to buy it in 25L drums?
    I make wines and ciders, meads and infusions. I would like to try something like Limoncello, but everyone uses grain spirit. I don't want to use gin, vodka or another clear spirit, they always have a flavour/aroma, despite people insisting otherwise.
    So, any one know a source of 1L bottles of pure spirit?

Thanks,

RS

2. Feb 12, 2019 #2

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

Landlord.

I looked into this a while ago to no avail. My solution was to buy vodka and run it through a Brita filter a few times. That seemed to do a good job of neutralizing a lot of off flavours.

3. Feb 12, 2019 #3

RockySpears

RockySpears

RockySpears

So would a simple carbon filter suffice to neutralise a vodka or gin? I don't know if the people I watch think using a stronger spirit to start with is necessary, but they all use it.
    I am assuming the solvent qualities of the spirit means that more of the oils and thus flavours are infused into the finished spirit, so for example, they only thinly peel a lemon, whereas I would have looked to use a fine grater to remove the zest from a lemon.
    One day, when Rocky is Prime Minister, I am going to abolish alcohol duty altogether. It is such a distortion on our hobby, it practically blights it,

RS

4. Feb 13, 2019 #4

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

Dutto

I have:
    • Added activated carbon pellets (bought from an aquarium shop) to a bottle of ordinary vodka.
    • Shaken up the mixture every day for a week.
    • Let it settle for a second week.
    • Filtered the vodka through two paper coffee filters into a second bottle.
    The resulting liquor has been used for all kind of infusions but by far my favourite is to fill a Kilner Jar with dried prunes, fill the jar completely with the liquor and then leave it for at least a year to mature.

After a year, four of the prunes and a dollop of ice-cream make an excellent desert for people who don't have to drive home!

5. Feb 13, 2019 #5

Peter Scandlyn

Peter Scandlyn

Peter Scandlyn

There is also neutral spirit derived from whey - is that available in your country? It is huge in many, many countries.

6. Feb 13, 2019 #6

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

Landlord.

I wouldn't suggest trying to neutralise gin - it's distilled with the botanicals in order to impart flavour. Vodka is typically distilled to be as neutral as possible, so a much better base to work from. I found the charcoal filter just smoothes everything off so you're not noticing the base alcohol so much. Any infused flavours will take prominence.

Can only suggest you give it a try. Brita filters are reasonably cheap if you don't already have one.

7. Feb 13, 2019 #7

simon12

simon12

simon12

Landlord.

8. Feb 13, 2019 #8

RockySpears

RockySpears

RockySpears

Carbery in Co. Cork you mean? There is nothing on their website so i have contacted them, to no avail so far. Nowhere seems to have this product anywhere either. Think I may have spotted a hole in the market. Wonder if there is some HMRC rule against selling High abv's to the public?

RS

9. Feb 13, 2019 #9

BarnBrian

BarnBrian

BarnBrian

Junior Member Supporting Member

Is that because they'll need to stop for a dump on the way home? aunsure....
    I knew a professional wine maker in Australia who'd made a prune port, really tasty.

Dutto likes this.
  10. Feb 13, 2019 #10

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Regular.

If you've got any friends or neighbours holidaying in France, they could pick you up a bottle for 12-13 euros a litre bottle. Alcool spécial pour fruits spiritueux or something of the sort. It's pure, neutral liquor for preserving- well, fruit. Available in all the big supermarkets. It's only 40% though.

Dutto likes this.
  11. Feb 13, 2019 #11

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Regular.

12. Feb 13, 2019 #12

RockySpears

RockySpears

RockySpears

Well as it is not even costing as much as the Duty on pure alcohol (£28 a Liter) I am not sure you should be drinking it. They do state "Not Denatured" which is where additives are used to prevent it being used for drinks. Normally this is Methanol, which makes you go blind, or Bitrex, which is used to stop kids biting their nails because it tastes awful,

RS

An Ankoù likes this.
  13. Feb 13, 2019 #13

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

An Ankoù

Regular.

You're right, and I wasn't being serious. It's clearly for medical or lab use even if it isn't denatured. I'm not even going to comment on the source!

I was joking, everybody out there. It wasn't meant to be an endorsement. Don't die on my account.

RockySpears likes this.