Grain suppliers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
Where are you getting your grains from?
What's best for value and postage?
I've seen the thread about Crafty Maltsters, which looks great for 25Kg sacks of base malt.
But what about speciality malts? Thinking maybe 1 - 2 Kg of odds and ends for recipes. Where do you think best, without massive postage costs?
I am based in Leeds and I know of 2 home brew shops (Abbey Homebrew, Kirkstall; and Morley Homebrew), but they would be a fair drive. Sometimes even expensive postage is better than time and petrol to drive all the way across the city.
Cheers.

I think they all have a standard postage cost up to 30Kg or so, so it pays to base your order of hops, yeast, speciality grains etc round a 25Kg sack of base malt. I always make up an order having decided in advance what my next 7 brews are going to be, taking into account what I already have in stock.

I think they all have a standard postage cost up to 30Kg or so, so it pays to base your order of hops, yeast, speciality grains etc round a 25Kg sack of base malt. I always make up an order having decided in advance what my next 7 brews are going to be, taking into account what I already have in stock.

Yeah, I see it pays to plan ahead and buy your base and speciality grains for a few brews all in one go. I've already got a big bag of Maris Otter, and just needed a few bits and bobs for next couple of recipes. My natural tightness is making me squirm about paying £6 delivery for £1.50 worth of wheat malt. Still, probably not too much more expensive than driving to my 'local' home-brew shop though.

I remember CML used to do small grain orders with no postage (but slightly more expensive grain). Did they stop because of the pandemic?

DarkRock but only because I'd normally drive over there. My nearest LHBS looks like it's shut down :(

THBC take up to 30kg weight but Geterbrewewd are only around 29kg in total plus 1kg for the box as quoted on their website
Screenshot_20200703_163344_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200703_163404_com.android.chrome.jpg

They had it listed this week when I ordered hops...

Thanks, just checked, and they doing grain again!
Think CML prices are OK for 500g with no postage. but anything more than that probably works out cheaper to pay the delivery costs at Get Er Brewed.

I used to bulk buy for several brews but found the quality of the brews diminished slightly with older malt despite storing in air tight bags etc. I now just order for 2 or 3 brews and just pay the postage, it's only £5-7 And I think my beers taste better for it.

Picked 25kg of lager malt from them a couple of weeks ago, made a kolsch and got excellent extraction.

Had my first taste last night and the sample turned into 6 pints! Very good malt :)
I’ve heard similar about the extraction. Looking forward to trying something so local.

Back