Grainfather Clean

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been having cut-out issues on my last few brews and attributed this to the grain crush from the latest bag. of MO base malt.
After much research and angst, I finally decided that it could be congealed gunk on the boiler plate.
In advance of tomorrow's intended brew day, I decided to do a proper clean up job on the GF tonight - there being no rugby that I can watch.

My "mentor" David Heath has recently posted some new advice on cleaning which involves a 15 min recirc cycle with both cleaner and then clear water @ 55C. So I do this, whilst scrubbing plate and walls of the GF with a nylon brush and scraping the boiler plate with the paddle.

After this, I notice that the boiler plate is still a bit gunky, so spray it a bit with Star San, which is acidic, and polish it up a bit.

Did a trial boil through to make sure that it should work for tomorrow's brew. Deo Volente and all that...

I will post details of the brew in the seldom viewed "Slid Brewdays" thread.

I use citric acid power with a bit of water after a brew. 10 minutes and a quick clean with a dish brush and it’s all nice and shiny. Then do the usual clean with the grainfather cleaner.

I'd also make sure you aren't letting anything down the overflow, the recirc should be pulling most grain particles back up that get thru the bottom plate. I control the flow rate to a rate that prevents any overflow, this will limit the amount of grain getting near the element, it should never need much more than a rub with a sponge and hot water to leave it clean.

I'd also make sure you aren't letting anything down the overflow, the recirc should be pulling most grain particles back up that get thru the bottom plate. I control the flow rate to a rate that prevents any overflow, this will limit the amount of grain getting near the element, it should never need much more than a rub with a sponge and hot water to leave it clean.

Very interesting. I used to do that, for like 60 brews, but now will be trying the "tea strainer on the top and letting it all drop down the drainpipe" tomorrow.

What-the -hell, I can always do what I have done for the last n number of brews and decant wort through BIAB bags to PECO boilers and back if needs must.

I did do the sink strainer over the overflow and fish out all the floating bits, but ended up giving up with that and just leaving the flow on full. Hasn’t had any effect of my beer at the end.

Back