Grainfather conical fermenter and glycol chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cossie.j

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi and good morning all.
It’s been quite a while since posting on here? and I’ve not done any brewing for a couple months now! This was all due to temperature control and my brew space.

So i bit the bullet,and bought myself a complete temperature controlled setup which should be the perfect size I need for my space? Also opens doors to brewing other styles of beers I wouldn’t have previously?

So my question is, when it comes to cold crashing or lagering. Does this setup still need some kind of adaption to the airlock for “the suck back” people suffer from fermenting in a fridge so to speak? Being a newbie still and always learning I’d appreciate any help and advice?

Aye, I use a F/V blow off (1 l tonic bottle with starsan) and neoprene tube. Once I get over the Krausen I CO2 harvest with a couple of 20l BIB bags and filler cap Vitop connector for bag-in-box on the tube. When I cold crash I re-connect the BIB bag and re-introduce the harvested CO2. I then keep this going for racking to keg which means less chance of nasty airborne bacteria, or dust getting in the kegs. Works for me! Hows your glycol chiller going? I'm playing with 20% glycol and gradually reducing the switch temps. Still losing too much cold temps from the python so going to re-lag that next. Good luck!

Thank you. So I’m guessing that if I was to cold crash/lager I’m going to need to use the bag option still? It’s not an issue for me as ill try the link you posted. I haven’t received the fermenters or chiller yet, I only bought them Thursday;-). I had to save for this for a long time so I’m hoping it’ll work for my small brew cupboard

I think it's to compensate for the reduction in volume as the brew cools. So, if your bubbler works both ways it'll could be OK. Maybe put water (not star san) in and try sucking it with a tube to reflect what the brew is doing?

But for me, using a blow off tube, the bag is essential as the bloody star san gets sucked up the tube and could contaminate the brew. I use the co2 bags filling kegs as i'm just a bit OCD and sadly paranoid about losing a brew,,,, :eek:

Ahhh, the joys of new toys,,, My sub zero chiller with glycol is a dark science I'm just learning. But I love my conicals they really work for me and so easy to fill kegs from and clean out. athumb..

Thank you for your input, I actually put the question forward to David heath and he’s recommended a Plato valve?. I watched his review on this too, it seems to equalise the pressure and stop this suck back? It seems to simplify the whole process too,but to me its a whole new thing. Haha

We’ll see how this turns out i guess? I have used the fermzilla fermenters,and found them great for transfer to kegs enclosed using co2

Latest posts

Back