Grainfather Connect Controller, Temperature Probe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevMo

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to this forum, but been brewing now for more than 6 years (5 of those on the Grainfather)...
For the first time, I'm looking to set up a permanent brew area where everything is plumbed and cabled and neat.

Extending power and hoses is the easy part. From STC1000 and 100 experience, a temperature probe is basically twin flex.... but has anyone ever successfully opened a Grainfather connect controller, and "lengthened" the temperature probe? Is resistance of the cable important? Could I cut it in half and lengthen it with standard two core 6amp (or lower) cable?

The second challenge is removing the 5 small screws on the back. It seems to lever the shell, but it doesn't open up as the old manual controller did. (I'm not overly keen on cracking the shell). If I could open it smoothly, and knew the Type of the thermocouple, I could perhaps order a custom length?

Any ideas? Thoughts.
Thanks all.

In case anyone finds this thread, and has the same question.

I managed to open the cover, remove the probe and extend it... I attempted with standard twin-flex, but that starts giving in correct temperature readings. Measuring impedance showed a significant increase, and by shorten the extension the temperature became more accurate.

This means I'd need to recalibrate the controller to read the temperature based on an increased resistance in the temperature probe.
Grainfather Support cannot help with that, as its compiled into the controller and not accessible.

Therefore, this plan has been abandoned.

Back