Grainfather Electric Grain mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just been released on MaltMiller

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/the-grainfather-electric-grain-mill/
giphy.gif

It’s not clear from the listing whether MM are including the bamboo mounting with it or if it’s sold separately. The videos imply it’s included but the listing looks like it’s separate but they don’t appear to have the board in their shop. It looks incredibly smart though, and much easier to use/adjust than my mill (which I’be made a bit dodgy from drill over-use).

At £250 (potentially without a mounting), it’s maybe out of my range at the moment but I’ll see what my birthday brings, cash wise. Might be able to persuade SWMBO to let me out some cash towards it since I’ve just got a promotion at work.

Says this on the listing

The Grainfather – Electric Grain Mill – Includes Bamboo Mounting Board – Free 25kg sack of Warminster Maris Otter

Says this on the listing

The Grainfather – Electric Grain Mill – Includes Bamboo Mounting Board – Free 25kg sack of Warminster Maris Otter
Well spotted - I clearly can’t read. I think I was taken in by the free 25kg sack of grain that I didn’t even spot that but!

I must admit, as much as I like new equipment, I thought it looked a bit straightforward for £250. I'd likely find a 1kg hopper quite annoying. I appreciate I already have a drill so £100 for a 'normal' grain mill makes sense for me, but can imagine for someone who doesn't already have a drill, this may make more sense.

Oh dear.. I've been thinking about getting a grain mill for a while, and had been looking at getting a small motor for one or a slow speed mixing drill, but had been put off by the whole huge size of them. I'd like to be able to store uncrushed grains as a bit less of a worry of fungal contamination/moulds with crushed grains. This is awfully tempting on the basis it is compact, quick, not a lot of mess when using and easily adjustable. I was a bit worried by the small size of the rollers but the videos explain that it is hardened steel which would seem to be why larger rollers are not required. Interesting to see that it shouldn't be used with damp conditioned grain.

Yummy 😍

Lots of thanks to The Home Brew Shop for rapid (and free) delivery!

View attachment 50861View attachment 50860

Sadly I'm going to have to delay picking up the new grain from Crafty Maltsters till next week since it turns out they accidentally ground my sack of lager malt.

It's still nice though.

Anna
There's a phrase in fishing for those who have ALL the best stuff...tackle tart.
But I'd never call you that.

There's a phrase in fishing for those who have ALL the best stuff...tackle tart.
But I'd never call you that.
Oh Clint you are right - and my guilt glands are really going some 🙈 . I do now need to demonstrate I can make the purchase worthwhile!

I bought a 2 roller mill the other month £74 Amazon US but with free delivery to Uk. Very impressed with how solid it is. I get through 5/6kilo of grain in about 3mins slowly hand cranking. Iv got a couple drills but just don’t see the point, what’s 3mins. If you’ve got the money fair enough but seems a OTT bit of kit 💸.

I bought a 2 roller mill the other month £74 Amazon US but with free delivery to Uk. Very impressed with how solid it is. I get through 5/6kilo of grain in about 3mins slowly hand cranking. Iv got a couple drills but just don’t see the point, what’s 3mins. If you’ve got the money fair enough but seems a OTT bit of kit 💸.
Must be some mill to get through 5/6kg hand cranking in 3mins. Mine takes longer than that with the drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back