Grainfather Electric Grain mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine just arrived! :D

633D1A88-CE89-47EC-A0C9-2D4F86AD2CD1.jpeg

Does anyone use it for big batches? I wanna increase my output to 1bbl in the foreseeable future, and I don't want to cry again on mills...

Does anyone use it for big batches? I wanna increase my output to 1bbl in the foreseeable future, and I don't want to cry again on mills...
The instructions state
"If crushing large quantities, allow the mill to rest for 3 minutes after every 10 kg (22 lb) of grain crushed. Once finished, turn off the mill."

However this seems very conservative and will in part relate to the speed it is run at and ambient temperature/cooling. I'd have thought running it at a slower speed would permit running for much larger batches but monitoring the temperature would be a good plan. I ran 10kg through it at the weekend, and the housing only got vaguely warm.

The instructions state
"If crushing large quantities, allow the mill to rest for 3 minutes after every 10 kg (22 lb) of grain crushed. Once finished, turn off the mill."

However this seems very conservative and will in part relate to the speed it is run at and ambient temperature/cooling. I'd have thought running it at a slower speed would permit running for much larger batches but monitoring the temperature would be a good plan. I ran 10kg through it at the weekend, and the housing only got vaguely warm.

Thanks Anna!

The GF is a great bit of kit (I have one and love it) but for very large batches such as you are contemplating, I think you would find it a pain standing feeding the hopper for ages. A larger (motorised) mill with a big hopper would suit you better.

The GF is a great bit of kit (I have one and love it) but for very large batches such as you are contemplating, I think you would find it a pain standing feeding the hopper for ages. A larger (motorised) mill with a big hopper would suit you better.
Exactly that's what I'm thinking about. I'm already brewing with 2 g30 parallel. And I've burned myself once, and I'd rather do a couple of hours overtime for something decent.
I don't wanna hijack the tread, but the ss brewtech mill looks like a nice bit of kit.

Our local brewshop uses the SS brewtech mill, upgraded from 3 roller powered by a drill. He's very happy with it.
I use the maltzilla with all stainless rollers, happy with that good sized hopper but haven't crushed more than 10 kg of grain in one go with it. Motor is good though and quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back