Grainfather filter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meirion658

Reaction score
Evening all just completed my first brew in over two years and went well apart from the filter comming off!!!

What adverse affect will this have on the brew? I did use a hop basket for the pellets wich only included 68g in total

Did you manage to finish your boil and pump the wort through the cooler into the FV? Everything should be fine. Maybe a bit more gunk will have gone into the FV, but it will settle out and your beer will be fine.

I forgot to put the filter on once, and the pump got blocked up with hops (I didn't use a hop basket). I had 23L of boiling hot wort and no way to safely get it out of the FV. Ended up leaving it to cool in the FV and it got a wild yeast infection that totally ruined it.

It might be worth dismantling your ball connector joint to make sure there is no crud behind the ball bearing (but don't lose the ball bearing or the spring).

Yes I managed to get the wort into the FV as I had the ball and spring already removed.

Been out buying some stainless steel hose clip today to secure in place ready for next brew.

Have been looking at the false bottom but not sure if it worth it?

As @MagnusTS says, as long as you got it into the fermenter any extra crud should settle out.
I use a hop spider and the Robobrew false bottom in my Grainfather.
Usually add about 100g of hop pellets in the boil and even with the spider I still end up with 1/2" of hop
debris on the false bottom.

Just fit your filter on the opposite way round, so that the end cap is wedged against the thermowell, it won't come off then. Just remember to turn the black rubber insert through 180° first.

I discovered that after spending an hour picking little bits of hop debris out of the pump impeller.

As @MagnusTS says, as long as you got it into the fermenter any extra crud should settle out.
I use a hop spider and the Robobrew false bottom in my Grainfather.
Usually add about 100g of hop pellets in the boil and even with the spider I still end up with 1/2" of hop
debris on the false bottom.

How do you get on with the false bottom? I've seen mixed reviews on this site?

How do you get on with the false bottom? I've seen mixed reviews on this site?
I find it fine. I know some people say they have a problem with it moving during the boil. I've not noticed this with my system.
I still use the Grainfather filter as well and it can't be knocked off as it's covered by the false bottom.
It's like everything in brewing. People find what works best for them.

Latest posts

Back