Grainfather G-40 info

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bet going to pricey
Looks to be $600 more than the G30, so probably just over £1k...
1632403465012.png

The G40 looks really interesting and the size is great. Perfect for a 2 corny batch. But I’m sure that the price will ruin my dream…

If the prices are as suggested by other members its only going to cement how good the value of the Brewzilla/Angelbrew type systems are.
In my eyes the Grainfather as always been way too much for what you get it is a good system but not really that much if at all better than the ones I have mentioned. They are trying to be a middle man between these and the Braumeisters and just putting a higher mark up on their system.
I would not buy one when I can get a machine for £00's cheaper and I bet I am not alone

You’re totally right. I love my Brewzilla and I’m looking forward to the Gen 4 which is due out soon. Here’s hoping it has a 46L capacity ;-)

Last edited:
The G40 does just look like the G70 but with a smaller top part, I like the look of the G70, the false bottom seems to be a better quality than the £350-£500 AIO's and you do get s pretty good counterflow chiller as well as 'proper' PID control rather than just a thermostat. Having said that there have been issues with the G70 controller so let's see if they've cleared those up.

Certainly are Rod where there's money to be had it does not take long before they try and talk the hobby up into a complicated thing.
Don't get me wrong it can be as complicated as you want it and I think even some of us oldies have bought into the science of it me included but I do draw the line at some of the things suggested which go against what I have found in practice.
People need to learn to brew or do they want to have a fully automated system that does it from A to B, I know I do not and I have learned loads in my years by doing the basics.
There is no two ways about it the hobby is attracting the "Craft types" tongue in cheek but just because they buy the latest tech - which is generally not always needed does not make them into immediate expert brewers but unfortunately every hobby suffers from this and some of them look down their noses at brewers who do not have them athumb.. athumb..

People need to learn to brew or do they want to have a fully automated system that does it from A to B
Even the automated systems aren't really that automated, all they are doing is setting the temperature and timer and possibly pinging you a reminder. You still need to work out temps and timings before hand (plus all the water chemistry, ingredients etc) and be able to measure pH & temps as you're going and compensate if they're not correct.
The thing I find attractive is a quicker set up/break down time, takes me a good hour to gather everything, make sure its all clean and then set up my boiler, PID, pump, BIAB etc plus it's more of an **** ache for sparging, struggling with a big hot wet bag of grain, trying to get in a bucket with holes in sat on an old wire fridge shelf. Just lifting a malt pipe and turning it 45 degrees to sit on a bracket looks more attractive!

Home brewing is a relatively cheap hobby. If I compare what I’ve spent on Home brewing equipment with my outlay on my other hobbies (golf and cycling), it’s negligible.

I’ve probably spent about £1k on home brew equipment over a couple of years, I have:

70L kettle with gas burner (second hand), immersion chiller, magnetic pump, 2 tall larder fridges (1 fermentation, 2 kegerator), 5 corny kegs, Keg King 60L fermenter, Ispindel, and assorted brewing paraphernalia.

If you’ve seen the price of Road bikes, or Mountain bikes today, this is nothing. So if some people want shiny stainless steel brewing equipment, and are happy to pay a premium for Grainfather, that’s up to them. Everyones budget is different and for some, it’s not a huge amount of money.

You pay your money, you make your choice.

So, $1,499 equates to just under £1100, depending on VAT etc then this could be £1320 which would be bad value compared to the G70 at only £130 more (plus there's a few shops doing G70 deals with extra grain or a free sparge heater).

Latest posts

Back