Grainfather G-40 info

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I buy a G40, then I’m going to need a bigger FV and then I’m going to need a bigger fridge and then I’m going to need…oh my God…what is happening to me…I need help!!

I did think the same. I wonder if two all rounders will fit in my fridge.
Could experiment with different yeasts and dry hops.

I’m sold, where’s my credit card…

I have a Grainfather G30 and while I've had a few issues, I have to say that a lot of the negative comments seen here can be found on thousands of other forums for hundreds of different hobbies. "Oooh the XXXX is £50 cheaper. What a rip off!"; "I built mine for 5/6 from macrame and papier mache" and so on and so forth.

It's unlikely Grainfather is overpriced; there may be features which push the price above that of similar products from competitors.

I happily used a Baby Burco, a plastic mash tun and immersion chiller I'd built myself and I have to say the beer was just as good and it took much less time to clean. BUT; any all-in-one system with a temperature controller, should improve anyone's beer.

It will be interesting when Brewzilla v4 is released later in the year and compare that to the s40 from a price point. No doubting grainfather quality and we all would give a good review if we had a free one!

I like it, shame it's the wrong side of £1k! Would prefer it if the sight glass was separate so it would work when the pump was in use and if it came with a bottom tap fitted.
I think 40l is a good size, makes it more comfortable to get 25l or so into the FV, I struggle to get 19 or 20 with my 30l set up. I like to keg most of it and bottle the rest.
Get a 50l brewdevil. As everything you want.

I am not going to rubbish the product(as it should be good at that price) but the YouTube reviews have virtually all been done by brewers who have been hand picked by Bevie and they have not paid for the units so 100% independent reviews are yet to come

Last edited:
It’s definitely going to have to be a slow sparge to make sure it filters through the grain bed. Although the other option at 40L is just do a full volume mash for a single batch.

I think that the G40 capacity is best used the way you suggest. It's supposed to be an all-in-one, so why to we need a sparge water heater? Just chuck 10kg of grain in there as a full volume and go watch a movie. Get a huge beer with no stirring, sparging etc.

Boil it with the app and chuck some hops in when the app bleeps. You'll end up filling a 30l fermentor with no fuss and minimal stewarding.

I totally get the design decisions as a leave-it-be brewing machine that's in the garage and you're watching telly.

The only piece of marketing I question is the fill 2x19l claim, which isn't strictly true. The rest of it looks amazing, and what people spend their money on is none of my business.

I am not going to rubbish the product(as it should be good at that price) but the YouTube reviews have virtually all been done by brewers who have been hand picked by Bevie and they have not paid for the units so a 100% independent reviews are yet to come
Hi Baron, it's a live video he editing as he goes, and from what i saw i wouldn't buy one but that is my own personal choice, the quality of it is really first class it just seemed a lot of faff

I am not going to rubbish the product(as it should be good at that price) but the YouTube reviews have virtually all been done by brewers who have been hand picked by Bevie and they have not paid for the units so 100% independent reviews are yet to come

There was one video I watched that lasted 40 minutes and I'll be honest I learned very little except the fact that I wouldn't let the guy in my brew garage!!!

Some of them are so poor i wonder how they managed to convince the suppliers to send them product to review...I'd have been right round their places taking the systems off them!!!

There was one video I watched that lasted 40 minutes and I'll be honest I learned very little except the fact that I wouldn't let the guy in my brew garage!!!

Some of them are so poor i wonder how they managed to convince the suppliers to send them product to review...I'd have been right round their places taking the systems off them!!!
As I have said they have been hand picked, lets be honest they have vetted the brewers and are not going to risk a bad review it would be marketing suicide. Having said that some of them and I say some are what I class as respected brewers and I would like to think they would give warts and all but when you give somebody £1100 of equipment for free with the possibility of further products to follow it must make some of them stress the good points rather than the bad points?(its human nature)

I think the whole brewing on YouTube thing has run it’s course though hasn’t it? No one is doing anything new or groundbreaking. I suppose they keep going in the hope of a freebie.

I can recommend a couple of them if you want a cure for your insomnia.

Stass posted a vid and mentioned that while he was supplied the G40 his videos were not getting vetted by GF/Bevie so he could post what he likes. Now I'm a well know cynic and like you say the potential for favouring a product for the additional kick back etc. Hey it could be that GF have simply provided demo units (no doubt with a high discount if they keep them) but as ever the proof will be if any of these early reviewers are still using the new G-unit's in 3-4 months time.

I did like the simple concept of the S40 for my first all-in-one brew system. I don't really need the integrated control of the G40, at least not for £1000. But I'm also interested to see what the Brewzilla Gen 4 will bring.
Does anyone have an idea of when the new BZ will be released? I've looked it up online and I see people saying it's about to be release since early 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did like the simple concept of the S40 for my first all-in-one brew system. I don't really need the integrated control of the G40, at least not for £1000. But I'm also interested to see what the Brewzilla Gen 4 will bring.
Does anyone have an idea of when the new BZ will be released? I've looked it up online and I see people saying it's about to be release since early 2020.
It’s mentioned on the kegland YouTube channel recently and suggests year end.

New g40 controller wifi set up, using tp link exptender, would not accept password, tried 5 times. Then i see it says 2.4ghz only, so went and changed router to 2.4ghx only, but when i went back and turned on set screen as gone and it is manual mode ie you can turn on pump set temp etc on the controller using buttons but not on app, looked it up on app to add g40 and now it can not find g40 when i say add, so i figure do Bluetooth connect instead like I did with g30 but it does not come up on bluetooth either, it needs to connect to wifi really so as to do firmware updates
I think I had something similar, I just turned the G40 off at the mains and turned it on again and tried again.

Latest posts

Back