Grainfather G30 mash efficiency

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
To all G30 owners out there...

Did my first brew on a G30 yesterday after upgrading from a converted coolbox mash tun. I always used to give the mash a good stir half way through and with the G30 I noticed it was much firmer than in the old setup. It was recirculating OK, although it did overflow about halfway through and go down the overflow pipe. The grain bill was mostly pale with a bit of aromatic and caramunich 1.

Mash efficiency was 75% which I would have considered good for my coolbox setup but I was a bit concerned about the mash being too 'set'.

I use Brewfather for all my recipes and inventory etc, and imported the recipe into the grainfather app. It called for 15.5 litres in the mash and 16 litres for the sparge. I also noticed that the top mesh went down as far as it could go in the mash before it got to the grain - could this have contributed? In future I think I'll up the mash liquor and reduce the sparge accordingly.

How much mash liquor do others typically use. It was a 23l batch OG 1.044.

Since getting my GF my efficiency has gone up. My last brew I used 18lt of water for 5KG of grain. I use the calculator on the GF community site

I usually get around 80-85 mash efficiency with my G30, and like yourself i use Brewfather. I don’t stir my mash though, once I’ve mashed in I’ll give it a little rest say 15 minutes before i start to recirculate and let it run fully open.
For a good year I always slowed the recirculating down and stopped it from going down the overflow, but since I’ve stopped that and let it run fully open and flow down the overflow, I’ve been getting better efficiency and definitely improved the sparge time too. Your mash liquor looks about right to be fair? Just check you’re using the right profile on Brewfather, as there are a few on there.

Latest posts

Back