Grainfather G30 Rolled Edge Plates

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul7189

Regular.
Reaction score
Its available as a pair on an american website for $99. If that means basically £100 for the set I might just buy the bottom plate as I rarely have any issues with the top one! Just browsing and I think the bottom one alone is $35 so if it's £35 I will definitely order one!

I've never understood the need for the silicone rings anyway. Does it matter of the wort drips through around the edge of the plate (where the seal should go), or goes through the holes inside the plate?

Fortunately I never have much issue with my seals - they go on easily with a bit of water lubrication. I guess I'm lucky

An another useless gadget for the Grainfather...
The dust always work for me, the seal only come loose at my first brew. For 99 quid you can get ingredients for at least 3 brews if not 4.

An another useless gadget for the Grainfather...
The dust always work for me, the seal only come loose at my first brew. For 99 quid you can get ingredients for at least 3 brews if not 4.

I think you might be lucky then because it takes me about 4-5 attempts every time regardless of the lubrication I use to try to get mine to fit. I almost welded it in place without the seals 😂

Rather than start a new thread, does anyone want to split the cost of the two plates plus shipping? I'm happy to buy both, grind off the top tabs and send the top plate to someone to use as a bottom?

Cheapest seems to be £57.99 for two inc delivery, plus £6 for delivery from me to you, so £32 for a bottom plate all in.

Cheers

They’re available now online for £59.99 for the set!
Man, I HATE the seals on the plates. I curse endlessly. I had no clue these now existed. Next order I'm placing with MM (soon) I'm getting some. I don't care about the cost, my sanity will be worth it!!

I left them off once, but my plates don't have a good fit within the basket and now my bottom plate is quite warped from the weight of the grain during sparging (which only happened that one time).
I got new seals, which helped a bit, but last time was still a 'mare. I do all the usual things, heat the basket up, use StarSan spray and some grain dust and it still causes me a headache (Usually because I knock it out of place when putting the middle tubes on)

In case it helps, my technique is:
  • Wet both the plate/seals and the inside of the grain basket.
  • Don't attach the central pipe. Concentrate on getting the bottom plate in first, then attach the overflow pipe
  • Slide the bottom plate in vertically (ie, have it in a vertical orientation when you slide it in). This means the friction won't try to remove it from the plate as you do. Slide it in as far as it will go
  • Only when the bottom plate is in as far as it can go do you need to start moving it into its horizontal orientation. One side of the plate will be easy to get into position, the other side will slide against the wall of the grain basket and this is where the seal can come off. When doing this, push the seal with the tips of your fingers, not the plate itself. When you push the seal, the plate will move with it. If you push the plate, the seal won't move and the seal will come off the plate. The last bit requires you to push with your fingernails or other thin device to be pushing the edge of the seal that is right up against the inside of the grain basket.
  • Once you've got it into position, then attach the overflow pipes
The top plate seems to go in fairly easily after the malt is in.

In case it helps, my technique is:
  • Wet both the plate/seals and the inside of the grain basket.
  • Don't attach the central pipe. Concentrate on getting the bottom plate in first, then attach the overflow pipe
  • Slide the bottom plate in vertically (ie, have it in a vertical orientation when you slide it in). This means the friction won't try to remove it from the plate as you do. Slide it in as far as it will go
  • Only when the bottom plate is in as far as it can go do you need to start moving it into its horizontal orientation. One side of the plate will be easy to get into position, the other side will slide against the wall of the grain basket and this is where the seal can come off. When doing this, push the seal with the tips of your fingers, not the plate itself. When you push the seal, the plate will move with it. If you push the plate, the seal won't move and the seal will come off the plate. The last bit requires you to push with your fingernails or other thin device to be pushing the edge of the seal that is right up against the inside of the grain basket.
  • Once you've got it into position, then attach the overflow pipes
The top plate seems to go in fairly easily after the malt is in.
It's not a rocket science, my method only differ, I leave the pipe attached, and it's just about to allow to slide it in in the right angle. And it's easier to tilt at the end by holding the pipe instead of the plate.
But everyone wasting their hard earned money as they're wish. I still say, with a bit of practice anyone can do it if they wish.

I've had a Grainfather G30 since they released the connect version, with the seals. So I've had plenty of practise and use all of the same techniques. I just like my brew days to be easy and not cursing before I start. What's a waste of money to some is gold to others. After all ,some say why do you even need a Grainfather/All in One Brewing System/Stainless Steel Fermenter/Glycol Chiller/Chiller Plates/All Grain Brewing! wink... in the first place.
My husband, who is the king of not letting me spend money on silly things said 'Go for it!!' when I told him about these plates. Because he knows how much I curse and swear before I even brew anything!

Latest posts

Back