Grainfather Micro Pipework

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
Did a Theakston's Best Bitter last weekend. Fitting the top plate on the Grainfather G30 I found that the long pipework wouldn't adjust far enough down. Should have used the small pipework instead. I had to proceed without the top plate and all went fine, but I was annoyed with myself.
4.3% on a 23L brew but I didn't stop to consider that it was only a 3.65kg grain bill supplemented with 400g of dextrose at the boil.

Anyone got some guidance on the size of grain bill for the large and small pipes?
What's the maximum and minimum that the Grainfather can cope with?

Thanks

I brewed The Malt Miller's Boxcar Double Dark Mild,that was an 8.18 Kg grain bill and it only just fitted in the malt tube!:eek:.
No way would it take 9 Kg grain bill as they state as a maximum.
The beer was fantastic as well:laugh8::beer1:

Crisp Extra Pale (Lager) Malt
Simpsons Aromatic Malt
Simpsons Malts Imperial
SIMPSONS MALT GOLDEN NAKED OATS®
Simpsons Crystal Medium
Simpsons Chocolate Malt
Bramling Cross Pellets

Total malt bill 8.18kg

WHC Saturated (1 packs)

Attachments

• IMG_7308.PNG
    IMG_7308.PNG
    113.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7207.jpg
    IMG_7207.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 63
  • ddm.jpeg
    ddm.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Can the GF Micro Pipework be fitted to the BrewZilla 3.1 - if so what is the object of using the shortened pipe

Do not know if it fits the Brewzilla-
You can measure the Brewzilla external pipe diameter and i can give you the internal dimension of the GF small pipework which is -
13.22mm at the spring end.
It is used for smaller grain bills where the larger standard pipework and the overflow inlet sits above the grain bed/plate with the normal pipework fully pressed down
I always use mine now for 5Kg grain bills and below.

As long as you trust your knowledge to make a well draining grain bed, it doesn't make any difference which pipework you're using.😉
The overflow is for safety reasons only.

So how do you make a “well draining grain bed”in a Brewzilla or a Grainfather then ? 🤔

So how do you make a “well draining grain bed”in a Brewzilla or a Grainfather then ? 🤔
Mill your grains right, and use rice hulls when necessary. There are a couple of topics about that on this forum.

👍🏼I have always milled my grain own grains and never had a problem regarding the grain bed when using my G30 or my G70.

Attachments

• 331F9230-382F-498A-9ED7-09EFAE7E358E.jpeg
    331F9230-382F-498A-9ED7-09EFAE7E358E.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 24
  • E16C009A-9124-4A87-A524-FF8FB11831AA.jpeg
    E16C009A-9124-4A87-A524-FF8FB11831AA.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back