Grainfather or Braumeister [POLL]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which one?

• If i was buying one this year i would buy the Grainfather

• If i was buying one this year i would buy the Braumeister

• If i won £1500 tomorrow i would still buy the Grainfather (as voted above) and save the rest.

Results are only viewable after voting.
That's really difficult cos it would depend on my budget. It's be impossible to argue the grainfather is a better bit of kit (even tho I absolutely love mine) but it does represent better value I think. Based on my current situation I'd say GF this year but braumeister if I had unlimited money. I hope that when my GF packs up (which will hopefully be a few years off) I'll replace it with a braumeister.

I thought i would ask the poll questions as i did as i wanted to see if any members would prefer the Grainfather even if money was no object.

Interesting results, i was expecting someone to say the GF would do everything i want it to so see no need for the BM and extra expense.

Maybe i should have said if you won �£1500 which one would you buy.

I was tempted

I guess its human nature, why drive a small car which will get you from A - B when you can easily afford to run a big car and do the same journey in more comfort and style.

To be honest, the brewmaster is a nice bit of German engineering. Speidel have a lot of experience in the professional area, they normally produce bespoke micro breweries.

However, I think if a brew up to 20l there is no need need a brewmaster. I would go for the Grainfather and spent the left over money for proper gear instead.

Lot of people forget there is almost the same amount to spent for FV and botteling. The leftover money is enough to build/buy a fermentation chamber, camlock stuff, and CO2 and kegging supply.

And there is additional the possibility to buy a Grandfather-"light" aka as grandbrother.

I trialled the GF for a few brews and ended up buying the BM and prefer it hands down, however if budget was an issue then the GF would not disappoint.

I trialled the GF for a few brews and ended up buying the BM and prefer it hands down, however if budget was an issue then the GF would not disappoint.

Would be interested why you decided for the BM

Prior to buying it it was:

-the build quality
-better footprint
-immersion vs counter flow chiller
-unattended nature (can brew with small pockets of time in a day as it can be left to its own devices and I don't worry about boil overs)
-firmware gets updates
-the WiFi (still primitive but I can start it from bed and monitor from elsewhere)
-the short malt pipe for small batches

After buying it I think I was bang on the money with the above but it is just much easier to use and to clean is a dream. You can get to every part and then just turn it upside down with the pump open to dry completely and the immersion chiller is a beast (just bung it in and turn the pump on, no constant stirring it with sore arms), cleans in seconds and doesn't seem to be slower than a copper version. The clean in place system of the GF (it is also more of a pain to clean and takes longer) , its design and the use of a counter flow chiller just worries me long term, I don't like that I cannot see where wort flows and I would definitely get a steam cleaning system in place if I used one (the BM is definitely easier to clean though and that and the unattended nature means I will brew more often and start focusing on the actual fermentation and tightening other processes more, hopefully leading to better beer).
I did add about another 50% onto the price though as I got all the accessories and the BAC hop spider so I was hoping it to be superior for my circumstances, given the price point of the GF.

Just bought a BM and have done my fourth brew on it today. Fantastic bit of kit. If I had to, I'd buy another one tomorrow.
After the first use I knew I'd be happy with it.
It makes brewday so easy, some seem to think it takes the skill or fun out of brewing but for me it takes out the inconsistencies like hitting mash temps and hitting efficiency %'s.
You still have to make a good recipe and ferment it well.

I'm in a position where I can choose one or the other (thank you busy gigs and a one off 'big' gig which paid handsomely)

For my money the BM is more sensible as I've a small flat, limited space to store and ferment and I don't want to be making 5gls of beer at a time. A BM would allow me to make two carboys per brew day and offer the option to do a 'normal' and dry hopped version of the same brew but still at a volume where I can enjoy it and replicate it if it's good or not feel like I've wasted a massive batch of something goes wrong.

I also like that I can incorporate different rest times in my brew day as that's not something I currently do with my igloo/stock pot set up (I make 1g batches just now and following some successful brews I'd like to experiment with new recipes and some more 'complex' techniques like step mashing etc

It's an expensive system for sure but one which I can luckily afford to get just now. I was thinking about a GF but feel that the BM is a better fit for me, my environment and allows me to make just enough beer to enjoy/share without the excess equipment and storage needed.

I'm in a position where I can choose one or the other (thank you busy gigs and a one off 'big' gig which paid handsomely)

For my money the BM is more sensible as I've a small flat, limited space to store and ferment and I don't want to be making 5gls of beer at a time. A BM would allow me to make two carboys per brew day and offer the option to do a 'normal' and dry hopped version of the same brew but still at a volume where I can enjoy it and replicate it if it's good or not feel like I've wasted a massive batch of something goes wrong.

I also like that I can incorporate different rest times in my brew day as that's not something I currently do with my igloo/stock pot set up (I make 1g batches just now and following some successful brews I'd like to experiment with new recipes and some more 'complex' techniques like step mashing etc

It's an expensive system for sure but one which I can luckily afford to get just now. I was thinking about a GF but feel that the BM is a better fit for me, my environment and allows me to make just enough beer to enjoy/share without the excess equipment and storage needed.

you wont be disappointed. they're a great bit of kit.

Latest posts

Back