Grainfather Overflow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have done a few brews on my second hand grainfather that I got having used a Klarstein Maischfest intially.
I have been mashing not letting the wort go into the overflow .I stir the mash in well then slowing let the wort recirculate
not letting it overflow as i tend to watch it through out the mash .
I have been getting good results no stuck mash etc .
Then I saw the overflow filter and read on here about letting it go overflow pipe .Am i doing it wrong should i let it overflow.

I always throttle down the recirc flowrate to try and prevent wort from passing down it, bypassing the grain bed, but I also place a strainer over the overflow, just in case, to keep grain particulates dropping down it.

Thanks I have been putting a strainer over the overflow . As i said i am getting good results it just seemed to.me albeit a novice the more times it recirculates over the grains the better efficiency or am i being to being too basic.

the more times it recirculates over the grains the better efficiency or am i being to being too basic.
It's as simple as that. The overflow is there to protect the heating surfaces from running dry and burning out the elements.

I always throttle down the recirc flowrate to try and prevent wort from passing down it, bypassing the grain bed, but I also place a strainer over the overflow, just in case, to keep grain particulates dropping down it.
This is exactly my workflow and it works well for me.

Back