Grainfather Pump

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mungri

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all
Had a Grainfather delivered today. Trying to clean it using the Grainfather cleaner. 15ltrs of water in with cleaner as instructions.
The pump sounds really rough and doesn't bring any cleaner through, either using the counterflow chiller or the wort recirculation fitting.
Is their something basic I'm missing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all
Had a Grainfather delivered today. Trying to clean it using the Grainfather cleaner. 15ltrs of water in with cleaner as instructions.
The pump sounds really rough and doesn't bring any cleaner through, either using the counterflow chiller or the wort recirculation fitting.
Is their something basic I'm missing?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Scrap that. I've taken the filter out and it's working normally. Must have blocked the filter somehow.

Last edited:
It does this a lot. I assume you mean you took the filter out, cleaned and replaced? Don't run the pump without the filter as I did once by mistake. Bike pump then needed to unclog.

You'll often find when you start pumping at the chilling stage, that nothing comes out. Probably caused by the weight of hops on the filter, even though it isn't blocked. Don't panic, pulse the pump on and off and eventually you might get a flow. I've read that the pump is designed to work in this fashion.

It does this a lot. I assume you mean you took the filter out, cleaned and replaced? Don't run the pump without the filter as I did once by mistake. Bike pump then needed to unclog.

You'll often find when you start pumping at the chilling stage, that nothing comes out. Probably caused by the weight of hops on the filter, even though it isn't blocked. Don't panic, pulse the pump on and off and eventually you might get a flow. I've read that the pump is designed to work in this fashion.
Thanks ITMA. It's brand new. I'm only cleaning at the minute. The problem was with the black silicone piece that attaches to the filter. I fitted this as per instructions and then fitted inside the boiler.
The problem was that there was another silicone piece already attached inside the boiler, so I put one over the other and blocked the filter. Are you supposed to get 2 of these?

Yes they ship with a spare of those, for some reason no spare of the endcap though.

Be prepared for lots of blockages and general frustrations around this area: the pump system is under designed IMO.

Have a bike pump handy in case of emergencies!

Review peoples' comments about the ball valve and either remove it (at your own risk) or make sure you clean it after every brew (probably the best practice). When that clogs (and it will, quickly) you'll think your pump is clogged.

I had a few flow issues when mine was new, now I make sure to give it a good whirlpool and 15 mins settling and it's behaved itself fine. I don't go mad on hops though, often only 30 - 50g due to favouring english and german hops. Folks do say they manage with 200g of hops though.

Thanks @ITMA . I’ve seen videos about cleaning, and as you say they mention cleaning the ball valve after every brew.

Cheers @Zephyr259 . Most of my brews will be with 100 - 200g of hops, both leaf and pellet.
I guess I’ll find out when I get my first brew under my belt. Nice to be forewarned though.

I wouldnt remove the ball valve, just the spring and ball bearing (basically a check valve). I did about 10 brews with these in and got so frustrated I removed them and not had a blockage since. The only risk is you turn the pump on with nothing connected and end up with wort all over the floor. I now make sure to turn the ball valve off whenever nothing attached.

Yes, that’s what I meant. Clean the ball and spring as in the videos. I won’t be taking the whole valve off.
I’ll keep the hops down to 100g for my first brew. See how it goes and take it from there.

I wouldnt remove the ball valve, just the spring and ball bearing (basically a check valve). I did about 10 brews with these in and got so frustrated I removed them and not had a blockage since. The only risk is you turn the pump on with nothing connected and end up with wort all over the floor. I now make sure to turn the ball valve off whenever nothing attached.

You certainly do! I've done this on both of my last two brews. After messing around for better efficiencies for ages I pumped a half litre of precious wort straight onto the floor. Twice.

You can get an airlock with the pump sometimes. Switching it off for a few seconds and then switching back on usually sorts this.

I wouldnt remove the ball valve, just the spring and ball bearing (basically a check valve).

Yes definitely, I only mean the ball and spring. I'm thinking that since I have a muck up on every brew, it's only a matter of time before I cover myself in boiling liquid, so I'm going for the regular clean option I think.

Yes definitely, I only mean the ball and spring. I'm thinking that since I have a muck up on every brew, it's only a matter of time before I cover myself in boiling liquid, so I'm going for the regular clean option I think.
I'm paranoid about that too, although I do try and remember to switch the valve off when not in use.

I've not had a block since removing the ball and spring but I do double check the valve is shut all the time. Been considering putting them back in for the added safety because i will eventually spray boiling wort over the kitchen. I did turn the pump on by accident once, but it was before removing them so they held perfectly.

Back